Deer scare me....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in western NY. This time of year I see deer on a daily basis, grazing along any given road in my area. A few weeks ago I saw a 12pt 150 class deer, a mile from downtown Buffalo. We have a huge overpopulation in this area. I work mostly at night, doing road construction and we spotlight the areas were working at. It's actually surprising there aren't more deer hit. The city deer are pretty road savvy.

Bow season opened last weekend here. That means the deer will be on the run. I'm extra careful during hunting season.

I had to swerve to miss a deer crossing the road then a few miles same day had to swerve again . My knees were shaking so I will not ride too early in morning or just before dusk if I can help it ..

I try to get home before dusk here in mid MO. The Deer here materialise like ghosts from the mist and appear to be completely suicidal.

Chris.

Deer Hunters??? I live in the forrest and there is no hunting near (10-15 miles) but the deer heards are well managed here and we are not over run. But I did see small heard ( one buck and3-4 does around the neighborhood yesterday.
Getting a deer tag in Nevada is a lottery system but you can get a tag every few tries. I've also been scared sh#tless when they used to apear out of nowear at dusk.

Lew

A bike-riding veterinarian friend of mine who lives in the Battle Creek area did a study for the MI state gov't on the incidence of tuberculosis in the state's deer population. He said there is a severe overpopulation of deer in the state. That's one of the reasons there is the problem w/tuberculosis, it's easily-spread due to the number living in close-proximity.

One of my friends outside Battle Creek had two family vehicles badly-damaged due to hitting deer in a one-month period, he said his insurance agent won't answer the phone when he calls (caller I.D.), because the agent is afraid he's calling to report another totaled vehicle.:damn angry:

Here in Western Australia, deer are not a problem, The Kangaroos however are. I commute 3 days a week for 95 kilometres in the country and don't ride my bike to work at all in the winter. A Roo would probably be hit almost every day on my stretch of rode. Needless to say, Roo's are NOT road savy. I've had one jump into the side of the car after I managed to miss him.

Natt

I'm done riding to work in the morning by October 1st... Too many of them out my way, Southern Erie County, NY..

Latest posts

Back