Best RPM to shift at

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy thread revival LOL !

Just as a side note I regularly shifted my max at the strip at 10,200-10,400, knowing the factory tachs are way off, my Harlan shift light would way after 9600 I had it set for. My bike ran its best shifting off the factory tach at 10,200. It was roughly .15-.20 slower shifting at the factory tach of 9500. I had quite a runs on that bike over the years and never had a problem with anything on it, other than drive shafts breaking.

Todd

I just read this thread for the first time today. Has anyone here ever actually seen a stock gen 1 vmax lift the wheel in 3rd? I've had three and I don't believe it, especially if your weren't putting in a considerable effort to make it happen, no way accidentally. That would mean that you could lift it at what, 80 mph or so?

Matt

I just read this thread for the first time today. Has anyone here ever actually seen a stock gen 1 vmax lift the wheel in 3rd? I've had three and I don't believe it, especially if your weren't putting in a considerable effort to make it happen, no way accidentally. That would mean that you could lift it at what, 80 mph or so?

Matt
I can get mine to lift shifting 2nd to 3rd now that I put in the new clutch with the extra plate and PCW spring. Although I grew up riding dirt bikes and I know i'm hard on my clutch, but it does it pretty easy in my opinion.

Matt
I've definitely had my front wheel lift in 1st, 2nd and 3rd more times than I can remember.
And yes my 2000 is stock.
I even got pulled over a few years ago for doing 95 mph (in a 35 zone) and the officer said he was shocked to see that my front wheel was a few inches off the ground when I went by him. I was shifting from 3rd to 4th at the time.

I said I was working on and testing my bike (which was true) and the throttle stuck wide open (which was a bit of a fib).
He was really cool about it and just gave me a verbal warning.
I'm sure the fact that I have a lot of family that are Police Officers helped with that too. ;)

Last edited:
I would love ton see someone pull the front wheel in 3rd gear in person.

Mine would never do it. Not even if I yanked up hard and banged the clutch. In fact I could never get any of the 6 vmaxs I owned to do it. And one was decently warmed over.

Now built 1500 motor ones....

Todd

I would love ton see someone pull the front wheel in 3rd gear in person.

Mine would never do it. Not even if I yanked up hard and banged the clutch. In fact I could never get any of the 6 vmaxs I owned to do it. And one was decently warmed over.

Now built 1500 motor ones....

Todd
wow I'm surprised Todd, I did it when we were at Martin more than once, we def have to ride together more, To be clear I'm not talking 3, or 4 ft off the ground wheelie's I'm sayin when I shift from 2nd to 3rd the wheel lift's like 6 inches for 20ft or so

Back