What are these parts and where do they go??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Well I am nearly done with putting my Vmax back together after a pretty good strip-down to rebuild carbs and chackinnge fuel tank.

I have a couple rubber parts that I would like advice as to their placement. One is a round, stepped rubber plug and the other is an angled piece with metal clips. Pretty sure the angled one fits somewhere under the right (maybe the left) cowling. The plug I have no clue.

I don't wanna button up too far to find I have to dismantle to put these back in.

Amy advice appreciated. Here's a pic.IMAG1414.jpg

Not sure, but aren't there some clipped rubber pieces like that on the scoops, and the faux tank cover?

Any chance someone used rubber plugs in the mixture screw holes after punching out the brass plugs, I have. There should be 4 then though??? Otherwise, I can't recall ever seeing a rubber plug.

the rubber with metal clips fits on the brake side scoops lower front portion. It's function, along with the rubber shield under the electrical section located under the front of the faux tank, is to manage the airflow from the radiator.
There are 2 square rubber tabs on the rubber shield, one wraps around the radiator hose that goes to #3 cyl head and connects back to the rubber shield, the second one further back goes to the square hole where it connects this part and rubber shield together.
Here is a picture of it installed:

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 65
OK thanks all, yes I sorta figured the angled piece went sonewhere under the right scoop. The plug is about 5/8" diameter at the smallest part, and about 3/4" at big end so not from the jet block or idle mix screws. Might be a bumper under the seat or around the tank .

More inspection required. Sorta like a mechanical jigsaw puzzle, Luv it!

Plug is solid except for a shallow circular cast depression on top the shouldered end. 5/8 diameter body, straight, not tapered, with a sharp 3/4"dia shoulder on top.

The shouldered end does have a slight depression on top from being mashed against something.

I'm thinking seat bumper, Gonna check it out when I get to the basement this eve.

You were spot on Traumahawk...whilst doing plugs other nite at "tidy tools up time"...found that same piece lying on ground....eyesight ain't great but luckily I noticed the little piece of extended rubber with lips to hold it in place...I'm gonna need your help Sir...see intro...vboost room...ATB...h.

Well im traveling right now...but will be home tonight...and will take a pic of my bike and show exactly where its located.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Ok....got the pics.

In the first pic....you can see how the rubber piece will fit on the bottom of the right handed scoop.

In the 2nd pic....you can see that plastic piece that covers the ignition switch on the right side....and you can see the end of it that fits around the rubber grommet.

And in the 3rd pic....you can see where the rubber grommet fits.

I also took a 4th shot, to give some perception.

Hope this helps...and please dont hesitate to ask any further questions.

Attachments

• IMAG0891.jpg
    IMAG0891.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0894.jpg
    IMAG0894.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0895.jpg
    IMAG0895.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0896.jpg
    IMAG0896.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 31
The rubber grommet you're referring to Eric is hollow, to fit over the round metal tab welded to the frame, he said his piece was solid....also your grommet has a shoulder on both ends while his only has one.

Yours is a 'pinch' grommet and his appears to be a 'compression' grommet.

If it's any consolation, my guess is wrong also....the piece on the fiche I guessed at has rings molded into the top....his doesn't.

Yes....no.....:confused2:

The rubber grommet you're referring to Eric is hollow, to fit over the round metal tab welded to the frame, he said his piece was solid....also your grommet has a shoulder on both ends while his only has one.

Yours is a 'pinch' grommet and his appears to be a 'compression' grommet.

If it's any consolation, my guess is wrong also....the piece on the fiche I guessed at has rings molded into the top....his doesn't.

Yes....no.....:confused2:

Well my friend....at least we are trying....

Well thanks guys for trying to help. I crawled all around and under the bike today, with airbox and covers off, using a flashlight to check all the nooks and crannies and I'm still stumped.
Starting to think this solid plug may be a stray part from something else in my basement but pretty sure it's not.

But there's still more to explore. It appears something ain't right with 3 carbs of my fresh rebuild and when I pull them back out there will be more spaces to look LOL.

how bout a front, back and larger side view of the grommet, might help a little more if we could see the front and back of it. somebody might recognize it if they had a different view of it.

Well thanks guys for trying to help. I crawled all around and under the bike today, with airbox and covers off, using a flashlight to check all the nooks and crannies and I'm still stumped.
Starting to think this solid plug may be a stray part from something else in my basement but pretty sure it's not.

But there's still more to explore. It appears something ain't right with 3 carbs of my fresh rebuild and when I pull them back out there will be more spaces to look LOL.

I'm wondering the same thing. :confused2:

Ok....got the pics.

In the first pic....you can see how the rubber piece will fit on the bottom of the right handed scoop.

In the 2nd pic....you can see that plastic piece that covers the ignition switch on the right side....and you can see the end of it that fits around the rubber grommet.

And in the 3rd pic....you can see where the rubber grommet fits.

I also took a 4th shot, to give some perception.

Hope this helps...and please dont hesitate to ask any further questions.
You should check and see if this part Eric is referring to is present. If it is I think I would just put it on a shelf for now if everything is working as it should.

Latest posts

Back