M109R2 Headlight Assembly Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
Well, I decided to get going on the Headlight conversion. I got this M109R2 headlight assembly for $110 shipped:

20141109_121044_zpsird2g3jp.jpg

I removed the stock headlamp...

20141109_121800_zpsyphom1um.jpg

...and bungee corded the new assembly into place.

20141109_122422_zpsmwg0sarm.jpg

20141109_122300_zpsi49maedc.jpg

I'm torn - it will provide MUCH better lighting, but I'm thinking it's pretty big - overpowering. It looks as if fabricating mounts shoud be pretty easy. I think I can get it to sit back a bit further when I cut apart the Suzuki Bracket. It also gives me the option of mounting turn signals near the bottom of the headlight assembly. You can see where the brackets are right now.

Can you get it out of that surround? that might allow you to mount it low enough to make it seem like it's not sticking out so much. You might even be able to use the stock turn signal crown. I do like the slope of the actual light, though. It makes it seems a little more aero.

Looks like I will either have to go back to the front lollipops or do something about turn signals. They are partially obscured by the headlight shroud.

20141109_124316_zpshgcegzaf.jpg

Here's the Suzuki bracket, both attached to the assembly and detached. For now I will leave the top extensions, they rest upon the riser assembly and hold it nicely in place until I figure out what I will do. I have marked where I need to cut the bottom turn signal brackets to fit between the forks.

20141109_124452_zpso65yoecc.jpg

20141109_125413_zpshkadzxmt.jpg

20141109_130428_zpsv66opdty.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get it out of that surround? that might allow you to mount it low enough to make it seem like it's not sticking out so much. You might even be able to use the stock turn signal crown. I do like the slope of the actual light, though. It makes it seems a little more aero.

Yes, I can, but then I would need to fabricate a housing, Here is the light itself:

20141109_132131_zpstf6jojnb.jpg

20141109_132109_zps3hfubffk.jpg

Here it is without the shroud. It looks GREAT, but there is a lot of ugliness exposed. I would have to fabricate something to go around it.

20141109_134146_zpsmqd6ruqt.jpg

f6e76dcf-cf9f-4d45-b7f7-478424119857_zps324a5bf4.jpg

20141109_134104_zpscx7jdqox.jpg

Cool! I've been waiting to see the update on your headlight mods!
I like it without the shroud, and agree that it needs something a little smaller than what you have on hand. Is there a way to trim the factory shroud and maybe cover the trimmed side with automotive chrome trim?

What about picking up another one of those plastic surrounds and going to town with a Dremel? I put an SV650 headlight fairing on my VTX, and people really liked it. I cut a TON of that plastic off to make it look correct, but it worked out. The plastic mounts to the metal frame which mounts to the bike, right?

I'd find a way to get the metal to mount at the height you want, put the donor plastic on there, make a template for the stock signal crown, and cut it in stages. That's how I made my gauge mount and the mount on my VTX.

Good luck. It does look really cool with that lens angle built into the housing.

The bottom surround Clips into holes in the brackets on the light. The top one clips to the bottom one and into the bracket, which is screwed to the bottom surround.

I thought about cutting off the tabs and trying to come up with something to go around the light but that's a one-way trip I am not ready to embark upon yet.

I may go talk to my friendly body shop guy to see what he might charge to make it work. I am a klutz, and I would just end up ruining the shroud. The top is "chrome" right now, so I would have to paint it if I cut it down.

Re: trimming it with automotive trim, I don't think it wil be nearly wide enough to cover what needs to be covered.

Re: buying another shroud, they aren't cheap new (Way over $100!) and they are extremely rare used.

I helped a friend adapt a busa headlight to his sv650. We mocked up the mount with some cheap sheet metal and secured it with threaded rod after having a custom shop do the welding out of some other cheap steel. We painted it, and he sold it like that a few months later. All these things can be done, but you have to decide how much want it to look factory or more like a transformer.

Agreed.

I have all winter to work on this, so I'm not jumping to do anything yet. I know now that the light looks much better recessed without the shroud. As you said, working with a dremel to cut it back dramatically may just bet the ticket. I have a MIG and some sheet metal, but I think that either modifying the existing shroud or fabricating something from Fiberglass is going to proivide more of the result I desire.

I can go talk to the guy who painted my M109R, maybe he'll have some ideas. I'd far rather figure this out and do it myself than pay him to do it, but I know I can fall back to that if I get burned out on it.

Subscribed! Looking forward to updates.
I like the looks of the Yamaha MT-03 Headlight. I have seen a few pics of user's bikes who have done the mod, and it looks pretty hot. But, the price you paid for your part, and the fact that it reminds me if the updated lamp assembly of the Gen 2 Vmax really has my interest.

This is a great mod.

Why?

1) The Vmax headlight does not give me the image of the road that I want because the headlight does not give me the reflected light that I need.

2) Headlight mods I've looked at alter the fundamental styling of the Gen-1 Vmax.

3) This recessed assembly looks good and keeps the styling within the Gen-1 Vmax design brief. i.e the speedometer is the pinnacle of the fork assembly instead of the headlight.

If you can still get the small (OEM) fly screen around the indicator and speedometer shroud this should look VERY COOL.

Please keep posting

It does look really cool. Maybe just some semi-rigid carbon fiber panels to wrap around it?

Ah, great idea! Any idea where to buy some?

This is a great mod.

Why?

1) The Vmax headlight does not give me the image of the road that I want because the headlight does not give me the reflected light that I need.

2) Headlight mods I've looked at alter the fundamental styling of the Gen-1 Vmax.

3) This recessed assembly looks good and keeps the styling within the Gen-1 Vmax design brief. i.e the speedometer is the pinnacle of the fork assembly instead of the headlight.

If you can still get the small (OEM) fly screen around the indicator and speedometer shroud this should look VERY COOL.

Please keep posting

I don't see why the fly screen wouldn't fit. Thanks!

P.S. I LOVE SPANKING M109's :rofl_200:

I never tried to race a VMax with my "9". I know better!! :D

Try a local hobby shop where they have radio-control items.

Ah, great idea! Any idea where to buy some?

I don't see why the fly screen wouldn't fit. Thanks!

I never tried to race a VMax with my "9". I know better!! :D

There was one here in Ft. Lauderdale FL Warrick Hobbies, in Plantation FL run by the same guy for about 40+ years. He was a GM 'musclecar' A-body enthusiast. His goal was to have one of each body style and year for the 1960's/early '70's GM performance cars. He had >100 stored in industrial warehouses & a full fabrication shop, including a blast cabinet which could take an entire chassis. He died, and when the heirs found-out what they would be spending on taxes for the warehouses, they sold nearly everything. I went to the fire sale and got lots of good stuff. He was also a Moto Guzzi dealer, I believe, and had all-sorts of motorcycle gear, parts, complete bikes, thousands of helmets jackets, pants, gloves, etc. I had seen the business before he died, and it was like a 'man-cave' times ten. He tried to turn it into a museum/banquet hall and the city wanted $$$ for the ADA accommodations. Shortly after that he died-CA. My friend bought pallets of parts and clothing and sold them on ebay.

Anyway, spend some time in your local store & look at the fabrication materials and I bet you get some ideas for other things you can do.

Perfect, there's one about 10 miles away. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back