To wide for my mirrors... Extension options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellner357

Reaction score
So I ride with my club an awful lot. I really need to be able to see better behind me. I'm a big fella and I'm just to wide for these stock mirrors. I've considered bar ends but I don't know what brands are any good and don't know if I even like them. I'm thinking extensions. Is there a good source? I'd prefer to buy from a maxer then ebay.

I had the same problem on my 09. I went to a local machine shop and had a couple of custom mirror stems made with a lower profile and longer reach. Had them powder coated. It cost me around $50.00 total.

Fair enough, I was hoping there was someone who made them but if I have to hit a machine shop I might try bard end mirrors first.

I also look oftenly wath happen behind me

I`m riding Tommasselli reverse bar (or clubman if you prefer)
i`ve change for Yamaha Star 1100
Their lower and wider

Fair enough, I was hoping there was someone who made them but if I have to hit a machine shop I might try bard end mirrors first.

Machine shops DO MAKE THEM. :ummm::confused2:

I might add that for the $50 I paid, I got two pairs of stems. One set I had powder coated in gloss black, and the other pair I had ceramic coated and then I polished them out to a smooth satin/aluminum look. I ended up liking the gloss black ones better on my bike. And in addition to the custom length of my stems, I got to choose the bend angle so that my mirror heads are a bit closer to the handlebars than are the stock stems. But this was all on my Gen II, as I don't have as much problem seeing around me with my 85 and it's stock handlebars & mirror stems.

Only thing is sometimes your bars are so wide your hitting things with the mirrors. I was 320 lbs at one time so I know a little about wide. I was bumping crap at cruise ins, my garage, people hitting my mirrors. Anymore I just move my body so I can see behind me.

Machine shops DO MAKE THEM. :ummm::confused2:

I might add that for the $50 I paid, I got two pairs of stems. One set I had powder coated in gloss black, and the other pair I had ceramic coated and then I polished them out to a smooth satin/aluminum look. I ended up liking the gloss black ones better on my bike. And in addition to the custom length of my stems, I got to choose the bend angle so that my mirror heads are a bit closer to the handlebars than are the stock stems. But this was all on my Gen II, as I don't have as much problem seeing around me with my 85 and it's stock handlebars & mirror stems.
I have the same problem on my Gen 2- Would you consider selling the extra set of stems you had made?

My bar ends, it takes a while to get used to them but I don't have to move my elbows anymore to see whats behind me

IMAG1481.jpg

They're a cheap eBay set but I replaced the flimsy metal expansion grip with a beefy rubber one from an old set of bar ends

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3f34a8b1ec

I bought these http://m.ebay.com/itm/320968777801?nav=SEARCH
Very clear and sturdy mirrors, I've had two different and cheaper bar end mirrors before and I wish I've bought these in the first place. Very good mirrors, great bang for the buck!

I bought a cheap set they're in the mail. Had I seen this post before I clicked buy I might have got these lol! But the ones I ordered only cost 15 bucks so no big loss.

I've got these on my M109R and a similar set on my VMax. I got them off eBay. They work great, and are not very noticeable.

Mirror_Extender_MRUMNT08.jpg

I have the same problem on my Gen 2- Would you consider selling the extra set of stems you had made?

PM me with your address and I'll mail them so you can try them on for size. The length I chose is nearly 3/4" wider than they need to be (if I were having another set made up) and so, they tend to vibrate the mirrors somewhat at highway speeds. If they work for you, keep them. If not, you can send them back.

I've got these on my M109R and a similar set on my VMax. I got them off eBay. They work great, and are not very noticeable.

Mirror_Extender_MRUMNT08.jpg

I had a set of these at first on my Gen II, but on that bike, and combined with a Gen II's mirror studs, they looked really, really, really -------hokey is the only nice word I can come up with. I suspect they look much better mounted on a Gen 1's handlebars.

I have these on mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27df12b4d3&vxp=mtr
I also have 31.5" wide handlebars so there is no issue seeing behind(or around!) me. Here is a picture of them mounted:
View attachment 44786

I like these Brian. Do they work with any grips? Or do you have to have a certain style with no end? Or maybe you cut off your existing grip ends? Sorry for the stupid question but I don't have any bar-end style mirrors experience.

PM me with your address and I'll mail them so you can try them on for size. The length I chose is nearly 3/4" wider than they need to be (if I were having another set made up) and so, they tend to vibrate the mirrors somewhat at highway speeds. If they work for you, keep them. If not, you can send them back.

I had a set of these at first on my Gen II, but on that bike, and combined with a Gen II's mirror studs, they looked really, really, really -------hokey is the only nice word I can come up with. I suspect they look much better mounted on a Gen 1's handlebars.

These look interesting. They just relocate the mirrors out? Anyone have an installed pic and performance report on a Gen I?

I like these Brian. Do they work with any grips? Or do you have to have a certain style with no end? Or maybe you cut off your existing grip ends? Sorry for the stupid question but I don't have any bar-end style mirrors experience.
Hello Mike, they mount as replacement barends that double as mirror mounts. The come with the barends but I had Tom @ COO make some up for me. Since I already had barends and aftermarket grips it was a easy conversion. It does take some getting used to having the mirror on the outside of your hand preventing you from just sliding your hand off the grip end to wave/ signal/ etc..

Thanks!! PM sent.

Thanks!! PM sent.

Got it. I'll see if I can make it to the post office tomorrow, or Saturday.

Back