Project Certain Death

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vendetta

Reaction score
Well, my Max has been in need of a little work for a while now. And then last week I hit a deer, which has added to the list. So, I've decided to just quit procrastinating and just start fixin' her up. After a lot of thought I've decided the best course is just a complete tear down to the frame. Every system of the bike needs something, so why not?

Basic list of plans:

Strip and powder-coat frame
Repair 2nd gear / Undercut trans
New Exhaust (Mark's)
New tail section
Repaint bike
Raise bike back up (bike is lowered 2", only want 1")
Upgrade suspension
Upgrade brakes
New lighting
Braced Swingarm
17" front wheel / sport rubber (maybe even Carrozzerias, if its in budget)
Rebuild carbs (perhaps Morley kit)
Some other various cosmetic changes

I've decided to call this Project: Certain Death because I'm going to finish it even if it kills me.
Anyway here's the bike now, should be very different upon completion.:punk:

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 277
Big project, what kind of eta do you expect for completion
or have you set one ?
Lots of pics !
Chris

Haven't really set a deadline, but god I hope it's done by spring!:hourglass:

And don't worry, there will be pics... lots of pics.

I just got in some new tail sections. They keep threatening to quit making the Carrs so if you are thinking about that at all you may want to consider ordering a set (whether you get them through me or someone else).

I should have a trans in stock within a week or two and an overdrive version ready within 6-8 weeks.

Sean

Your bike looks like THAT after hitting the deer? WTF? Was it made of jello?

Sounds like a good project... The Carrs are 18" front and rear though...

Chris

No, the Vmax is just that tough!:worthy: Seriously though, I hit the deer in the gut, not shoulder or leg, so that probably helped alot. The Carr's are 18"?! That makes no sense to me. I thought they were supposed to be sport bike rims?

They make sport bike rims as well but the ones for the max are 18" rims. They still weigh much less than the stock units and most aftermarket ones as well as utilizing the stock speedo gear set.

Chris

Good on ya V!!!! Enjoy the project and if you have any questions I am sure everyone would help right out. Know that these projects can get spendy, but the end result is always worth it. Am actually considering buying a stock, or close to it, Max for a rider and keep on modding the heck out of "Toxic" for my play around with the boys bike. Maybe some day when I am rich instead of just good looking!!:rofl_200:

Don't think nobody noticed the 650 twin sitting back there in one of the pics, brings back a few memories for me! Had a '76, bought it new, kept it till 1981.

If you just put a smaller profile tire on the front the bike would look more cohesive IMO. That front tire looks like the stock profile. You can always spend the money on wheels and tires later.

Chris

Don't think nobody noticed the 650 twin sitting back there in one of the pics, brings back a few memories for me! Had a '76, bought it new, kept it till 1981.

You're right! I did now, though. Yeah, I had a 650 also. Great for going around the block.

That's Ole' Squeak, my first bike. I bought her for $500 when I was 21. I wanted a rocket for my first bike, but my dad came home one day and said a guy at work had a bike for sale and the price was right. I went and looked at it. It had an aftermarket windshield on it and was in awesome condition. I absolutely didn't want a cruiser, but I couldn't deny what a good deal it was, so I bought it. Took the windshield off (it looked gay). Rode that for about a year, then got the Max. I was going to make a Cafe Racer out of it, but sense the bike is so clean and complete I've decided to just leave it stock. Oh yeah, she's called 'Ole Squeak or Squeaky because the right side carb makes a squeaking sound when the bike is running, almost a whistling type noise.

Hey, it's my thread, I'll hijack it if I want too!:nyah nyah:

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Started tearing into the Max yesterday and I'm friggin' pissed. I knew it had some little issues plus some damage from the wreck, but what I'm pissed about is all the PO bull$hit. Stripped threads, cross-threaded bolts, loose bolts, scotch locks... F%&$ING SCOTCH LOCKS!!! The PO was a moron with no right to wrench.:bang head: Oh well I guess, just more to fix. On the bright side, got some pics I'll post tonight or tomorrow... Oooo, pretty pictures... :drool:

At least when you put it all back together you'll know that EVERYTHING is good and all bolts are tightened

Looking forward to a few pics

Started tearing into the Max yesterday and I'm friggin' pissed. I knew it had some little issues plus some damage from the wreck, but what I'm pissed about is all the PO bull$hit. Stripped threads, cross-threaded bolts, loose bolts, scotch locks... F%&$ING SCOTCH LOCKS!!! The PO was a moron with no right to wrench.:bang head: Oh well I guess, just more to fix. On the bright side, got some pics I'll post tonight or tomorrow... Oooo, pretty pictures... :drool:

What is a "SCOTCH LOCK" ? :ummm:
Just curious...thks.

Dale #2592

I've heard of some using the "posi-locks" with good success. They look better than those "scotch locks"

Thks for the info!

Dale #2592

That's Ole' Squeak, my first bike. I bought her for $500 when I was 21. I wanted a rocket for my first bike, but my dad came home one day and said a guy at work had a bike for sale and the price was right. I went and looked at it. It had an aftermarket windshield on it and was in awesome condition. I absolutely didn't want a cruiser, but I couldn't deny what a good deal it was, so I bought it. Took the windshield off (it looked gay). Rode that for about a year, then got the Max. I was going to make a Cafe Racer out of it, but sense the bike is so clean and complete I've decided to just leave it stock. Oh yeah, she's called 'Ole Squeak or Squeaky because the right side carb makes a squeaking sound when the bike is running, almost a whistling type noise.

Hey, it's my thread, I'll hijack it if I want too!:nyah nyah:

You need an XS11 in your garage to compliment the 650 and the 1200!

Latest posts

Back