Water Pump Cover leak ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

Reaction score
Noticed a small leak under bike, it's coming from the Water Pump Housing but it's tightened up well....what can I expect to find behind the cover ??? Expensive ?

Noticed a small leak under bike, it's coming from the Water Pump Housing but it's tightened up well....what can I expect to find behind the cover ??? Expensive ?

There is a weep hole at the bottom of the water pump case cover which is there to let you know if the seals on the water pump are bad.
The seals that more than likely need replacing are parts 7, 8, 9 and possibly 23 (x2) on the following parts fiche. There maybe more parts involved since I have not yet had an issue with my water pump.
http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/...Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1998&fveh=177423

Only done 21k miles, will take it to a garage for check asap
Getting done soon.

Last edited:
I had an interesting antifreeze thing happen, which hadn't happened before. After draining/ filling the system I kept finding puddles of antifreeze mixture under the bike after she cooled down. I put paper towels under the weep hole, thermostat housing and the spark plugs drainage holes to no avail. Then earlier this week I saw where it was coming from, apparently the removable frame section took on some of the draining fluid and was slowly draining it out near the back frame connection. I used some compressed air to purge the makeshift reservoir of it's cache, the air forced out a good couple of ounces!

Back