Problem with starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblankert

Reaction score
I have a 2003 and 2006 Vmax and have the same problem with both.

I have a problem where the starter does not seem to be engaging the flywheel. I replaced the starter thinking the gear might be worn down, but the same problem exists, where it makes a rattling sounds and occassionally catches and sounds like its going to fire, but then goes back to making a rattling sound like the starter is not engaging.

the 2006 is my backup bike, and when I tried to start it, it did the same thing! It just makes a whirring sound, no engagement.

What the heck is going on and how do I fix this fast? I ride my bike to work every day, and right now I'm getting rides from employees until this gets figured out.

Agreed, starter clutch issues, good info on repair in the forum threads.............Tom.

Battery is fully charged on both (already thought of that), but thanks for the reply.

It is probably the starter clutch like you guys said. We had our first cold snap the morning this started happening, and it actually starts better when it is warmed up.

Unfortunately I can't work on my bikes at my apartment. How much should I expect a shop to charge for this kind of work (how many hours of work?)

I might just fix one, and sell the other one. I've been looking into electric bikes, since they go 100+ mph and have a 200 mile round trip ride on an 8 hour charge from a normal outlet. (Zero bikes makes the cheapest one). Yamaha is making one too, but it looks like its going to be expensive as hell. It's the wave of the future, but not too sure about how well they hold up over time. Not a lot of info on them!

Thanks for your input guys.

Are you running any Synthetic Oil in your bikes? Use dino oil and your starter clutch might work.

Rick Fambry changed a starter clutch on his brother Vmax in the parking lot a Thunder a few years ago in about 2 hours.

Attachments

• Rick-Fambry-Installing-HD-Starter-clutch-Thunder-2015.jpg
    Rick-Fambry-Installing-HD-Starter-clutch-Thunder-2015.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
I'd take a guess and say a dealer will nick you at least $250 plus overpriced parts.
There's a lot of independent mechanics that I bet would do the job for a lot less. The guy I go to (Tim Wnek at Motion Craft in East Aurora NY) is real reasonable, and even let me bring in my new stator and gaskets a month ago for replacement in me '85. He did a great job, got the bike done in 2 days, and charged me $100.

Yamaha Marine dealer, labor cost here, $130 per Hr. Coffee brakes are on the poor customer they're clocked in on at that time. $33 for NO work done. That always pissed me off, even being on the other side. Short conversation between workers? Still $130 per hr. Bosses son, learning how to be a mechanic, and has to ask his father something before every movement? $130 per hr. +1 on getting bent over on the parts mark up. Three Yamy stealerships (motorcycle)within 40 miles of me have closed. People got screwed there, usually, and stopped going. Independent mechanics that have Vmax experience are your best bet. Making friends on the forum, even better. Beer and barbecue are very reasonable.

It was so damn hot this summer, and I had so much going on that I probably still wouldn't have got the stator put in.. I've done it before in both the Max and the Roadstar. Not a hard job, but at the time, it was worth paying Tim $100 just to get my bike back. You can only ride a RoadStar so long without getting bored..

Latest posts

Back