Stoopid oil leak!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So having replaced by bad 2nd gear, I've put everything back together and filled up with oil, only to find out I have a bad leak at the bottom center of the alternator cover :bang head::bang head:

The engine runs great though, which is happy news. Haven't tried the gears yet as I'm rebuilding the clutch M/C which leaked.

I've drained the oil again to removed the alt cover to see why I have a leak. Can anyone remember if the bottom middle bolt is one of those that needs a special washer or sealant?

I think the washer thing is only on the middle gear cover. Retorque? Loosen, spray with parts cleaner to remove grit, retorque? Remove cover, re-remove gasket, replace gasket, reinstall cover?

I know these are things you've already considered.

Is it coming out beside where the electrical connections are and working its way to the bottom? I always found that a difficult place to seal

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've fixed it :) What happened was somehow the new gasket moved inward at the bottom of the cover, so there was no seal. I reseated it and added a tiny amount of black sealant, and voilà - no more leaks!

So now I am HAPPY! I have completely reassembled everything after swapping my gears to fix the broken 2nd gear, I took the opportunity to add solid motor mounts (thanks Kyle) and a pair of chinese petal front rotors.

The bike is now sorted and finally working great again :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last thing now is my rear rotor - I think it needs replacing as it make an awful noise everytime I apply any decent pressure to the rear brake. I've already tried swapping the brake pads but it came back almost immediately. I'm looking at a nice chinese design for $84 free shipping on eBay.

It's been quite a trip splitting the cases and getting to the gears, and I want to thank Sean Morley for all his invaluable help and Captain Kyle for all the bits n pieces I grabbed off him. :clapping:

My 'fuzzy' Max is happy again!! :punk:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've fixed it :) What happened was somehow the new gasket moved inward at the bottom of the cover, so there was no seal. I reseated it and added a tiny amount of black sealant, and voilà - no more leaks!

So now I am HAPPY! I have completely reassembled everything after swapping my gears to fix the broken 2nd gear, I took the opportunity to add solid motor mounts (thanks Kyle) and a pair of chinese petal front rotors.

The bike is now sorted and finally working great again :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last thing now is my rear rotor - I think it needs replacing as it make an awful noise everytime I apply any decent pressure to the rear brake. I've already tried swapping the brake pads but it came back almost immediately. I'm looking at a nice chinese design for $84 free shipping on eBay.

It's been quite a trip splitting the cases and getting to the gears, and I want to thank Sean Morley for all his invaluable help and Captain Kyle for all the bits n pieces I grabbed off him. :clapping:

My 'fuzzy' Max is happy again!! :punk:
Glad to hear you have it sorted G, leaks are pita and I have one of those myself. I fairly sure I stopped the leaks around the alternator wires with a good cleaning along with the help from some yamabond #4. After this weekend I found that I still have leak but somewhere under the middle gear cover. I'll get it fixed but riding time is precious at this time of year so I'll have to make a thorough investigation before taking it completely apart for repairs. I may just extend my clutch line while I'm at it to clean up that area of the engine. (thanks to Tyler and Damon's suggestions on this mod)
I have one of the Chinese rotors on the rear with nearly the same pattern as the original set of Chinese wavy rotors we split up a few years back, it is working well with a R1 rotor on my rear wheel. This one is under $40 so that might could save you a few bucks.

Hi Fellow Vmaxers. I been on the Google for well over a hour looking for a supplier of the Middle gear cover gasket. I have tried red permatex....black permatex twice and still am leaking around the same place , Bottom of the middle gear cover. I do not have a gasket and completely removed the old one. I cleaned everything surgical clean and resealed.. LEAKS.
Does anyone have a part number and a good supplier. I even tried ebay.

Regards,

If you look thru the threads and look back a couple weeks you will see free pdf links to the manuals and parts as well. Where are you located? I have a dealer near me that stocks everything, and I mean everything for the Vmax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got em in stock for $4 plus postage. You can probably get them cheaper at the dealer by the time you add in postage.

Thanks for all the replies: I will check with my local Yammy dealer but last time I needed gaskets he did not carry them for the 1200 Vmax.

I will search some more for a part number for the Mid gear gasket and crush washer.

Can anyone tell me which allen it goes under? IE: the very bottom most allen?

Starting from the very bottom going clockwise there is the bottom then the first one that has the shiftbracket then the second one that has the top shiftbracket. then one on the very top, and one at about 2 O-clock and one at 4 O-clock and finally the very bottom one.

Which one does the copper crush washer go under? I must of lost it after pulling my starter clutch multiple times.

Last edited:
Leak is fixed. Crush washer Part 90430-0614 Midgear cover gasket part 3JP-15461-0

Nothing else. No Permatex, no gasket sealant.

Thanks to all I am drip free!

*No wise cracks*

Last edited:
Leak is fixed. Crush washer Part 90430-0614 Midgear cover gasket part 3JP-15461-0

Nothing else. No Permatex, no gasket sealant.

Thanks to all I am drip free!

*No wise cracks*
That's how it's supposed to be done. That's the reason problem was fixed

There's service manuals readily available not only yomamas but Haynes and Clymer as well

There's service manuals readily available not only yomamas but Haynes and Clymer as well

Of course I agree with you that the reason it is fixed and not leaking is that it was done correctly with the correct parts . Pretty much tautology.

My point for posting my success of the use of the correct materials and parts is that for many, to include myself, has not always had those items on hand.

I have heard in the past that some folks tout success with nothing more than permatex and no gasket or washer. I have also heard some folks add permatex to the gasket or any number of permutations of the above.

Me being in the latter camp made the attempt without the gasket or washer and did not have such success. Serendipity can manifest in many ways and can often lead to better, cheaper, and sometime more efficient way to tackle a specific problem. It is only through such attempts, I believe that we learn.
That is why there are so many "mods" from those who went another way to tackle a specific problem.

So yes you are right.

It was fixed cuz I did it right and if I might add it behooves others that this is one of those things where Yamaha knows best. Thank you sir.

Of course I agree with you that the reason it is fixed and not leaking is that it was done correctly with the correct parts . Pretty much tautology.

My point for posting my success of the use of the correct materials and parts is that for many, to include myself, has not always had those items on hand.

I have heard in the past that some folks tout success with nothing more than permatex and no gasket or washer. I have also heard some folks add permatex to the gasket or any number of permutations of the above.

Me being in the latter camp made the attempt without the gasket or washer and did not have such success. Serendipity can manifest in many ways and can often lead to better, cheaper, and sometime more efficient way to tackle a specific problem. It is only through such attempts, I believe that we learn.
That is why there are so many "mods" from those who went another way to tackle a specific problem.

So yes you are right.

It was fixed cuz I did it right and if I might add it behooves others that this is one of those things where Yamaha knows best. Thank you sir.

You had me at "Of course".

Latest posts

Back