**Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problems!**

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: **Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problem

Mine is very similar. I went with this one because I prefer the terminal design. Cold cranking amps weren't stated, but my Vmax loves the battery.

Tks. for the link. This will be my replacement, IF the one I have now ever dies. I never charge it, it sits connected for weeks during winter and fires the cold bike right up. The terminals are much better on the one you bought, and easier to use.
Steve-o

Re: **Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problem

You could have gotten this UB12220 AGM 420 CCA 22Ah battery for $50.50 (shipped) and it fits in the stock battery box without the need to modify it:
http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

I've had the UB12180 - 270 CCA 18 Ah AGM in my max for over 7 years now and it works great as well.

THANKS! I just bought the one in the link. It's on sale today (12/20/2014) at $37.49 - PLUS if you apply their coupon code of APEX5 it knocks off another 5% of the total cost.

Shipping was surprisingly cheap too - under $14.00. Hard to beat it at the price, both for the CCA you get and that it fits stock - considering a standard, generic lead-acid battery 16AL-A2 locally was $59.00.

This is one of the best tips I've ever found on this site, especially after more than a decade of screwing around with Yuasa and others. I have chargers, trickle-chargers, remote starters, and I have run capped battery cable-leads out to each side of the bike to make charging and power pack-starting a breeze on the VMAX (without any need to remove the seat) and I've made batteries in my VMAX last years longer than they likely would in anyone elses' bike. I could probably go another 6 months on the battery I have but I can tell it's life is getting short, needing more frequent charging, weaker starts, etc.

But this? This is great!! THANKS! :cheers:

I bought a stock replacement from apex batteries as advised by dannymax and they accidently sent me one with the wrong terminals as the one i ordered- it was $34 plus $12 shipping.
I cannot say enough good things about this companies efforts to replace it so i will let them say it. The replacement was over $120.

Thanks, Jon. I found this one actually, sealed with a TWO year warranty straight from Motobatt.

http://www.apexbattery.com/yuasa-yb16al-a2-20-5-amp-hour-motorcycle-battery.html
^ WOW

I may be getting a little giddy because my day is ending, but if you want, I’ll swap it out with the one you’re returning—even Steven. We’ll eat a few bucks but it’s worth it to satisfy my customers and word of mouth is priceless. Have a look and let me know.

Thank you,

Travis Hogarth
Sales Manager, Apex Superstores
Customer Service: [email protected]

THANKS! I just bought the one in the link. It's on sale today (12/20/2014) at $37.49 - PLUS if you apply their coupon code of APEX5 it knocks off another 5% of the total cost.

Shipping was surprisingly cheap too - under $14.00. Hard to beat it at the price, both for the CCA you get and that it fits stock - considering a standard, generic lead-acid battery 16AL-A2 locally was $59.00.

Here's what it looks like installed; a near perfect fit. It's only nominally wider front to back, but still slides all the way down into the battery box. Side to side leaves about 3/8ths inch/10mm on each side but it's tight enough front to back that it does not slide around or move at all. This past month it's been great, better than all previous batteries I've ever had in the bike these past 10 years. Starts quick, and with such a good jolt that it doesn't need to turn it over as much to get it going.

PICT00052_zps44336c65.jpg

PICT00062_zps236796f1.jpg

PICT00092_zps32f5f4da.jpg

PICT0007_zps994aba16.jpg

PICT0018_zps23254af7.jpg

PICT0021_zps73263970.jpg

^ Nice,
Thanks for posting the pictures !

Cracked coils..?

Common cosmetic only stuff. Mine's been cracked in appearance, much worse than that, for a lot of years, and not a single misfire because of it.

Cracked coils..?

No, just the outer plastic shell - superficial and doesn't deter performance, no misfires. They run and run, never a problem, strong spark and no aspect of allowing water invasion. They aren't even that old. I think they get that way, partly due to aging but also because of the way the east comes down on them closely. Hit a bump and you are essentially bouncing on them.

These looked the same way on my Verago some 20 years ago, and another VMAX.

Latest posts

Back