Bias vs Radial

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switching to radials was, without a doubt, the single best thing I did to the Max! I was lucky and found a converted 18" Vrod rear and kept the stocker up front. I fully understand there are less tire options at 18", but I personally feel it fills in the wheel well very nicely...

The radial conversion should be high on the "mod" list IMHO...

Yes, I consider radials the #1 improvement to be made. Here's a new fabrication rim using an existing VMax splined hub, a bolt-in wheel conversion, 18" X 5-1/2". This is not a used rim, it's brand new. Not cheap. The 17" wheel can be done using a used rim considerably cheaper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 47
Looks like an American blank. I debated making a few converted wheels like that too.

Sorry this one's already assembled. I was hoping to make them for less $ but they're more-expensive than I thought they would be. Being 18" you keep your top end speed and it 'fills' the rear fender better than a low-profile 17" does. PM me if interested.

kinda cool...I'd like to see more pics and apart if possible...

The stock rim is 1.85 inches definitely not 3 inches.....so is your rim stock?

EDIT**....so if it "looks stock" it probably is. Everything else (the carrozerias (sp) the dynomags....etc....DONT looks stock.

From the picture in your other thread, you have a stock front rim.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=40555

The stock front rim size is 18" x 2.15" (see attached picture) and the widest recommended tire for a 2.15" rim is 110 but a lot of guys run a 120/90-18.
The 110 will fit better and handle better though.
I would definitely NOT recommend using a 130/80-18 on it.

Attachments

• 2000-Vmax-Front-Rim-Size.JPG
    2000-Vmax-Front-Rim-Size.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 20

The stock front rim size is 18" x 2.15" asee attached picture) and the widest recommended tire for a 2.15" rim is 110 but a lot of guys run a 120/90-18.

Thanks for the clarification Dennis....for the life of me, I'm wanting to say, I had read somewhere that it was 1.85?:ummm:

The stock front rim size is 18" x 2.15" (see attached picture) and the widest recommended tire for a 2.15" rim is 110 but a lot of guys run a 120/90-18.

Just went and looked, my front wheel's got that same stamp on it. No idea why someone decided to put a 130 tire on it. It's got me worried now, so I just ordered a 110 Shinko. For $60 bucks I figured why worry about it. All I could find on the front was the size and "Maxxis".

I checked my rear as well, and I have the Shinko Tourmaster 150/90-15.

^ Good call.
I would NOT ride with a 130 front tire on my Vmax.
I ride pretty hard in the curves and I'm sure that 130 would flex too much for me to feel safe.

^ Good call.
I would NOT ride with a130 front tire on my Vmax.
I ride pretty hard in the curves and I'm sure that 130 would flex too much for me to feel safe.

The front end does feel pretty squirrely. I'm going to rebuild the forks to make sure I have enough and the right fluid, put in new seals and bushings, install progressive springs, adjust the steering bearing, and with the new tire I'm hoping it will help quite a bit.

I put Progressive Springs (with 10 wt Maxima Racing fork fluid and no air) in my 2000 4 or 5 years ago and the difference from stock was Amazing !!!
They are a LOT smoother on the highway (I can actually see what's in my mirrors at highway speeds now), eliminated almost all the brake dive and they tighten up well in the curves.
I also put a Voodoo fork brace on but I really couldn't tell any difference between it and the stock brace, but is is a lot thicker and does look good.
http://www.voodoomoto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VFBVMXJ3

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back