ok, Im gonna ask!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Fellows,
Want to try something different. im not wanting to change rims for 17's, well, just don't want to spend the money. Anyway, My thought is: 170/80/15 rear, 120/80/18 front. The 120/80 is a rear tire profile, will this combo work? My past Maxes, I ran 170/80's and kept the front the usual size. I am curious if this combo will work. 170/80/15 Avon AV, 120/80/18 Avon AM26

Those sizes will work BUT I don't think I'd like a rear tire on the front of my Vmax.
I'm thinking it would be detrimental to the handling but would probably be fine if all you do is straight line/highway riding and only take curves at very low speeds.

Personally if you want radials but can't afford them I'd go with a Shinko Tour Master 230 rear and a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front.
That is the best handling tire combo I have ever used on my Vmax and I've tried pretty much every tire that fits our stock rims over the years.

appreciate it. I will then not do that, being an avid road racer on my R1s during competition, I know for a fact, what works for cornering, PSI, race rubber, suspension, etc. But for street riding, on a Vmax, bike alrdy handles like crap anyway!, why make it worse?Again, thxs for the feedback, Im gonna do 170/80, and 120/90, and! look into the suggestion you made!

If you put a rear tire on the front, be sure to face the direction arrow they other way. Goldwing guys call this "double darkside" when they run a car tire on the back and a rear Mc tire on the front.

I have the 110/90 AM26 on mine.. I had a 100/90 venom before.. I love the OEM size on the front compared to the 100. Handles and feels more secure. I have heard the 120 will fit, it's tight. The AM26 is a bias tire either way so why put the 120 on the front?

I have the 110/90 AM26 on mine.. I had a 100/90 venom before.. I love the OEM size on the front compared to the 100. Handles and feels more secure. I have heard the 120 will fit, it's tight. The AM26 is a bias tire either way so why put the 120 on the front?
I like the 110/90-18 front the best myself.
I tried a 120/90-18 and a 100/90-18 each once and the 110/90-18 definitely handles the best IMO.

appreciate it. I will then not do that, being an avid road racer on my R1s during competition, I know for a fact, what works for cornering, PSI, race rubber, suspension, etc. But for street riding, on a Vmax, bike alrdy handles like crap anyway!, why make it worse?Again, thxs for the feedback, Im gonna do 170/80, and 120/90, and! look into the suggestion you made!

2 of the cheapest handling upgrades are progressive springs for the front, and aluminum/delrin motor mounts to tie the frame together.

Those 2 things (plus sticky tires....the shinko 230 will give about 4000 miles for the rear) will turn the Vmax into a different animal.

Don't do the 'rear tire on the front.' Just say 'no!'

Why? because if you're the competition rider you say you are then you understand the importance of doing what works best. Fitting an oversize tire 'because you can' isn't a recommendation, it's an invitation to poor handling because the tire profile isn't sized correctly to the rim width. 'More rubber on the road' is misleading because the narrow rim doesn't allow the wider-than stock tire carcass to 'spread' as it should, given the physical constraint of the rim width at the bead.

Save your $ for a modded rear wheel, or buy the last set of Sean's Carrozerias. Then go radials. I maintain it's the #1 mod to make and it improves your VMax greatly. The handling of the bike is contemporary for the time it was designed, and as our members tell you, there are many ways to improve the handling and braking to make it better for enthusiastic riding.

Radial tires/wheel(s) to match, #1; new springing in the front end, #2; front fork cartridge emulators (wave washer drop-ins), #3; frame braces, #4; HH pads at least in the front, #5; better rear shocks ($$-$$$$), #6; whatever is your pleasure, from there.

The wheels are Def a worthwhile mod. I have dymag wheels and 120/70zr18 front and 180/55zr17 rear, same as my R6 (except R6 is 120/70ZR17, not 18 of course), and handles almost as good as my R6. I see your also in VB, I could show ya a vmax that doesn't "handle like crap" :)

anything over stock tyres is good...
replace them for the commander 2 in stock sizes and its a different bike.more easy to take into corners and stick way better.

Back