Rub mark on 170 rear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greimers

Reaction score
I was inspecting my rear tire (170/80/15) and noticed a significant rub mark along the ridge of the tire on the shaft side. I don't remember anything that could have done this. I'm guessing something temporarily got stuck between the tire and the shaft. Is it possible that under load or getting really light over a bump or rise that it could touch?

Check the swingarm for any signs of the tire rubbing it.
Signs would be, paint gone, or back mark lining up with the marking on your tire.

Put the rear end up in the air and spin the wheel around. How much clearance to you have?

Is your wheel true?

Are the bearings in good shape, all spacers installed properly?

I'm not sure how much a tire will flex. I would think one that is in good condition and with the proper air pressure wouldn't flex much.

The rear is a Metzler ME880 170/80-15 which the link from Traumahawk mentions as being one of the questionable fits.

There is space between the tire and the shaft, but I will have to take the wheel off to look for rubbing marks on the swingarm.

Signs would be, paint gone, or back mark lining up with the marking on your tire.

Put the rear end up in the air and spin the wheel around. How much clearance to you have?

Is your wheel true?

I'm not sure how much a tire will flex. I would think one that is in good condition and with the proper air pressure wouldn't flex much.

You would be amazed how much the rear tire grows with speed Mike. COPRUNNER an I tested that very thing on his '06 on the center stand and were very surprised.

If you only have rub marks and can spin the tire by hand without noticeable sticking I wouldn't give it another thought.

You would be amazed how much the rear tire grows with speed Mike. COPRUNNER an I tested that very thing on his '06 on the center stand and were very surprised.

If you only have rub marks and can spin the tire by hand without noticeable sticking I wouldn't give it another thought.

My only reference would be tires on a funny car. When they flog it, the tire gets taller and narrower.

Knowing my luck, if I tried the same experiment you and Tim did, my bike would end up smashed against the opposite wall of the garage!

My only reference would be tires on a funny car. When they flog it, the tire gets taller and narrower.

Knowing my luck, if I tried the same experiment you and Tim did, my bike would end up smashed against the opposite wall of the garage!

Haha, that's always a concern when dealing with Timmy! But, yeah, exactly like a funny car....we were a little concerned the center stand might not have the rear end up high enough, but it was ok.

Think he was running Metz's....I've mounted them and they're pretty
damn stiff too!

ConnerK and I went to a bike night in OKC and they had a dyno up there. It was a portable one. Their method of dynoing the bike was to have it in fifth gear, and then run it to whay ever rpm you said to quit at. Conner was saying 9500-10000 in 5th gear, so that tire was at the equivalent of 150. You could just watch it grow it faster it spun. I would say that it grew about 1-2 inches.

Here's a picture of the rub mark and another of the gap. It's not touching now, the gap looks the same as it's always been - about 4 or 5 mm. It almost looks to me like it is from something other than the swing arm but I won't really know until the wheel is off. Air pressure is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20160311_204758.jpg
    IMG_20160311_204758.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20160311_204944.jpg
    IMG_20160311_204944.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 72
I think shes rubbing just before the start of the factory notch... at least thats what it looks like to me from the second photo.

I think shes rubbing just before the start of the factory notch... at least thats what it looks like to me from the second photo.

That's what it looks like to me too....lots of clearance tho, have to think something got wedged in there for a while, little piece of a branch or something like that.

Good eye for picking it up but really don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

I ran chalk around the outside and took it for a ride and the chalk came off right away. I think it's touching at the bottom of the swing arm. If I look underneath it seems to be right against but the wheel spins easily though. Funny how this would change after sitting for the winter.

Also realized it's not charging. Guess it's time to break out the wrenches.

Drag racing slicks will swell during runs and burnouts. They also do not have very much air pressure in them and they are screwed to the rims to keep them from slipping on the wheel. If you had any clearance and it was rubbing under acceleration my first thought would incorrect air pressure. Try putting more air in and that will keep it from swelling.

Here's a picture of the rub mark and another of the gap. It's not touching now, the gap looks the same as it's always been - about 4 or 5 mm. It almost looks to me like it is from something other than the swing arm but I won't really know until the wheel is off. Air pressure is fine.

In the picture it looks like there's 2 rub marks just to be safe check wheel bearings.

Dave

In the picture it looks like there's 2 rub marks just to be safe check wheel bearings.

Dave

There are definitely two rub marks, one on the ridge and one on the middle of the sidewall. I'm wondering if the sidewall is weakening and bulging a bit. I will be checking the bearings as well. Thanks for the pointer.

Is your wheel true?

Easy to check

DID you do the Washer Swap when you installed it ?
If not I'd do that too.

I didn't install this tire. But now that I finally had time to take it off it appears to be missing that washer. If I understand correctly, it's supposed to be between the caliper bracket and the swingarm but it's not there. I checked in the hub as well and didn't find it.

I wonder if it was missed on the last install and the swing arm was pinched narrower when the axle nut was tightened.

What is the width of that spacer? I wonder if I could find something that would work to replace it.

My mistake. It had been stuck to the bracket. I'll make doubly sure it goes together properly and then if the clearance is too tight, I'll do the washer swap.

I've put the new shinko on and done a couple 100km. Lots of clearance on the swingarm and leans into turns better than before.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back