stage 1 or 7 jet kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey captainkyle. Im running a stage 7 and recently hooked my boost back up but I don't feel any difference at 6k. I hear the motor buzz when I switch to start so I know its going something.. what " small " adjustments should I make to run vboost with the stage 7?,

Do you mean ufo quadzilla? I think they're cobras. Can you tell from the pics? I'm probably going to buy some supertrapp megaphones off a member here. I take it I'd notice some decent gains over cobras if thats what i have at the moment.

The supertrapps will at least get you back to stock hp (but not higher). I also suggest a jet change ONLY and not a complete jet kit. 147.5 mains.

Sean

it does look like you got aftermarket head pipes on it? how loud is the bike? ive never heard quadzillas but your look a tiny bit different then my cobras? the length of the two pipes are longer to each other then mine, maybe its the angle of the shot not sure.

also i noticed the upper right pipe is just about clean with the lower one blackish, is that cylinder running right/correct? both should be about the same color or did you just clean it? i know when i run a little avgas all the pipes lighten up and turn a little greyer from black(from the lead)

it does look like you got aftermarket head pipes on it? how loud is the bike? ive never heard quadzillas but your look a tiny bit different then my cobras? the length of the two pipes are longer to each other then mine, maybe its the angle of the shot not sure.

also i noticed the upper right pipe is just about clean with the lower one blackish, is that cylinder running right/correct? both should be about the same color or did you just clean it? i know when i run a little avgas all the pipes lighten up and turn a little greyer from black(from the lead)

Wow! You really did take a close look! My bike is very loud and to be honest doesn't sound much like the sound clips of cobras on youtube. I think the previous owner said the heads were aftermarket.

I think my carbs need balancing at the very least, as when upto temp it runs like a pig and stalls on idle. It's also been sat up for over a year without a service for at least that long. 1 or 2 of the exhaust exits always get black way before the others and one set blows alot harder than the other.

Not good?!

Wow! You really did take a close look! My bike is very loud and to be honest doesn't sound much like the sound clips of cobras on youtube. I think the previous owner said the heads were aftermarket.

I think my carbs need balancing at the very least, as when upto temp it runs like a pig and stalls on idle. It's also been sat up for over a year without a service for at least that long. 1 or 2 of the exhaust exits always get black way before the others and one set blows alot harder than the other.

Not good?!

Sounds like the carbs are slugded up, pull them off and give a really good cleaning and I'd at least break them into pairs and check the float level, after I did that my bike actually responded to jet changes and carb tuning :eusa_dance:

Sounds like the carbs are slugded up, pull them off and give a really good cleaning and I'd at least break them into pairs and check the float level, after I did that my bike actually responded to jet changes and carb tuning :eusa_dance:

Think I'm gonna go with that before anything else. Would you say its a good option to change the jets whilst i'm having the carbs cleaned and balanced?

all depends on whats in them now, and also if you have cobras or quadillas, look them up on the internet and compare and let us know what you got. the cobras are not loud at all, they have a healthy sound but nothing like a aftermarket system.
but ya a good cleaning and adjustment and sync is the first order cause from your pipes id say she aint running right.

give dannymax or sean morley a jingle if you are not comfortable with a carb clean and set up, they do great work.

Looks to me like you have the stock header because the rear heat shield is there. Can you take a close up picture of just the engine where the pipes connect? That should tell the story

I can "second the motion" that the stage 1 is a waste of time and money. My bike came to me with stock headers, Holeshot slip-ons, and a DJ stage 1 kit installed.

It ran OK, but the midrange was soft and not very responsive. I ended up putting the PAJ2's back to stock, and switching the mains(found 150's in there) to Sean's suggestion of 147.5's. The stage 1 needles are OK, the adjustability is what you want. I have mine on the 4th clip from the pointy end.

Runs good. Switching the mains down a step maybe seemed to crispen up throttle response in the v-boost zone, and the midrange is perkier than it used to be as well.

Slip-ons don't add any power(any that claim to are BSing you). The benefit is just a cool sound, and you can save a few lbs since the stock muffler is a total brick.

Just a note. Having a Stage 7 installed doesn't mean it's dialed in and running right. I have ridden Stage 7 bikes that ran like dog shit and conversely, some stock bikes that pulled great throughout the whole rpm range.

Yeah I think my stock 86 max has better pull in mid range and top end. The 06 with stage 7/ pipe feels a pot more powerful right off the line. Also in the mid range if I sit at the same speed for a while then give it some juice it kinda hiccups then accelerates. The back of my pipe is black and you can smell gas pretty good when it runs. Thinking the carbs are dirty / running rich as well as the stage 7 not working correctly. Like I said.. bought it used with this stuff on it. Its an 06 and bought it this summer with 3000 miles on it which tells me it sat for a couple years possibly . I dunno I'm not much of a mechanic

Not to intreude here. But couldn't post otherwise. I have a 92 vmax. I was told that it has the cobra slash cut slip-ons and a stage 1 kit in the carbs. I have been reading that the cobras will take away power. I was given the stock muffler with the bike. Should I put the stock exhaust back on to get more power? If I put the stock muffler back on will the jet kit affect it?:bang head:

^ The Stock Pipes would give you back the lost HP, but you'd have to ride it and see how it runs to tell if you need to re-jet it.
Or you could buy some SuperTrapp Slip-ons.
From everything I've read the Stage 1 Jet kit never worked well on a VMax.

My stock 05 with 20,000 miles pulls like crazy from any speed with no hesitation or hick-up, looking forward to some roll on's soon against some stage 7's to see the difference.

I do know one thing, I get to ride my Max whenever I want with no tinkering around at all, just normal maintenance. ( And I never spent a thousand$ for a exhaust system that may just create me more problems than it was worth.)

But, I do love the looks of the Marks and sound and wondered if a system from him with 14 or 16 inch cans and 1 1/2 inch opening, like stock, would mean no messing with the carbs at all?

O

i think i am gonna put the stock muffler back on tomorrow and sell the cobra slip-ons. I was given all the stock jets and needles that were taken out of the carbs. should i put those back in also? i read in the instructions for the jet kit that the slides were drilled out and the pilot air jet changed. would i have to worry about that? should i just change the needles and all jets but the pilot air jet since the slide was drilled? please help.

i think the bike is running rich. the pipes are very black on the ends of the pipes where the slash cut is. the jet kit sats main jet is 155, pilot air jet 150 and the jet in the carb bell mouth is 080, with the needle clip on groove 3 of 6 from the top.. i don't have money right now but i wanna get the bike power back to atleast what it was before the pipes and jet kit were done. i was also given a set of 4 k&n air filters for each carb. it has the stock airbox with a k&n filter in it.

Latest posts

Back