front wheel floating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
I love the feel when the front end just floats about 4 inches above the ground. A quick "bump" between first and second and it's airborne again. I must admit I do not have the balls or skills needed to stand it way up, but the power wheelies just make me grin ear to ear. Wifey secretly enjoys them too (even though she starts beating me about the ribs and kidneys once she can bring her hands back up to me.....Thank goodness for the sissy bar).
Laying on the fake tank, it just hovers there. SO BAD ASSED.

Stopped for a drink at a bar in the middle of the woods by the Kankakee river on a nice cruize. We have passed it once before, but had a schedule. Today it was packed. Cars and Hardleys parked all the way out the entrance of the lot. Too smokey inside, so we went out back.
Watched some riders leaving making as much noise as they could, trying to SOUND fast. I am pretty sure one of them was cooking their clutch, giving it the beans. I told momma I was upset because mine isn't really that loud unless it is actually working hard (can't just sit in the parking lot and make noise,Dale walker holeshots 4-2). Got out of the lot, around the bend to the bridge, and let it rip. I could almost hear the others standing outside saying "what the fuck was that"?

^ Nice !!!
I love the fact that my basically stock Max lift the front wheel at every shift when I'm really getting into the throttle.
And I can say my Supertrapps do make some noise when I have the open caps on them. :biglaugh: :punk:

Couple of years ago, I saw a bunch of hard-core H-D riders pour out of a Daytona Beach bar down the street from Boxenstopp's when I made a couple of passes w/my UFO 4/1 singing. Even Marcus , the winner of the Horsepower shootout class w/his VMax wouldn't ride next to me on our way to the Deland Airport restaurant later that day. Here's a shot at Daytona Speedway that week.

For having only about 110 RWHP, a stock VMax sure can give you a lot of grins. Lotta torque, and a nice surge on VBoost. About the same HP as a modern 600 sportbike but you don't need to wind it to 15,000 rpm.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 55
i ride with the open end caps on my supertrapps and love it. i recently wondered if I could remove some of the baffling or wrap or whatever is inside of them to make a little more noise. havent gotten around to that but would welcome any advice or experience you have.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

i ride with the open end caps on my supertrapps and love it. i recently wondered if I could remove some of the baffling or wrap or whatever is inside of them to make a little more noise. havent gotten around to that but would welcome any advice or experience you have.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

i took out my discs, and made spacers from 5/16" brake line about 1 1/4" long for each of the screws, and put the spacers between the end caps, and the mufflers. sounds pretty cool i think, gives it more a rap when you give it a quick rev. i now have my vboost set open all the time, so now it sits and idles and cams like a built v-8. just an idea if you want to try it out. if you don't like it then you can return it to the way you had it.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
You can do that easily enough OR just remove the baffles and end caps when you want it to be REALLY loud.

Be-sure to use ear plugs if you do, your hearing can be damaged permanently from one episode of excessive noise.

Spending a career in close-proximity to a Whelen or Federal siren and a commercial airhorn has caused me to lose a bit of aural acuity, but maybe I just can't always hear what my wife is saying. Or so she says. A convenient defense.:confused2:

I like the bologna-cut appearance for straight pipes. Even the UFO shorty tips, single or twins have some perforated steel inserts to take a bit of the raucous edge off the exhaust noise (and noise it is!).

Medic, you have inspired me to fab some straight pipes to replace my cans when I am feeling loud.

I took the baffle out of my Kerker 4-1 one time (it was rattling and needed re-wrapping). I took a ride the next morning for a show and tell at the local high school about a half mile away and I thought my ears were gonna start bleeding. It is bloody horrific how much noise was generated. Bike ran like crap as well. Loud pipes may or may not save lives but they sure as hell hurt your darned ear drums.

Chris.

Mark's 4-2 sound awesome without the cans. I'm not sure there is enough back pressure to ride
like this though. That would be a question for Sean or Damon or anyone else that really knows this engine well.

Being realistic, I suppose I really don't want it irritating and painful loud. My walkers are the perfect combination of mellow and madness. Let the Hardleys have their fun. I know what I have and I don't need to try to impress anyone, it just happens naturally.

And I don't want to draw any attention from the fuzz.

About 10 years ago, I was doing some work on my gt750. Had the whole exhaust off and figured I would take a quick rip around the 'hood. Holy shit. Open exhaust ports on a 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Way past the flinch factor. A guy I work with lived about 3 miles away from me (I was in a Chicago suburb) and the next time I worked with him he nailed the time and day I was on it. He is an old part time biker (has 2 '57 pan heads in excellent condition, 1 is an amazing example of a true classic chopper). I only made it around the block because it was just plain painful. Unexpected side effect was that the open exhaust ports spit oil all over my freshly polished wheel, fork, brakes and fender. Live and learn.

Being realistic, I suppose I really don't want it irritating and painful loud. My walkers are the perfect combination of mellow and madness. Let the Hardleys have their fun. I know what I have and I don't need to try to impress anyone, it just happens naturally.

And I don't want to draw any attention from the fuzz.
I ran my max for a few hours around the town I live in without any pipes, when I had the stockers off to install my Supertrapps.
I got stopped 3 times because it was so loud.
Admittedly, I was getting on it pretty hard.
The first two officers gave me warnings and the third told me that was Strike 3 and to go home and put my pipes back on or get written up.
He was actually pretty cool about it and told me they were talking about me on the radio.
They were saying my Bike sounded Bad-Ass but was way too loud. :biglaugh:
I chose to ride home (under very light throttle) and put my Supertrapps on.

Back