change the lens in clutch master

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugla

Reaction score
Anyone have a step by step on taking out and installing the sight glass on the clutch master. I just got my lenses in and wanted to pop out the old. do i just force them out? i know there is a thread i just cant find it anymore.

thanks

Anyone have a step by step on taking out and installing the sight glass on the clutch master. I just got my lenses in and wanted to pop out the old. do i just force them out? i know there is a thread i just cant find it anymore.

thanks

I believe someone here had sucess by powder coating the housing and then baking them. They come right out.........:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

You wont be able to save it on the removal. They will break. I used a small screw driver and pushed out from the inside till it cracked and came out in chunks. Its plastic and formed to the rib inside the housing. Save the small metal splash piece to reflect your fluid level. I used a pick to clean all pieces out, powder coated then reinstalled the new glass. I used a couple snug o rings to bring the new sight glass out towards the outer edge of the housing.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

sweet thanks guys. i did get two new glass's so guess i will break it out and send it off for coating. what did you do just tap where the piston goes so no p/c in there and then bolt for keep threads ok. i guess with the cap on eh, all one chunk?

sweet thanks guys. i did get two new glass's so guess i will break it out and send it off for coating. what did you do just tap where the piston goes so no p/c in there and then bolt for keep threads ok. i guess with the cap on eh, all one chunk?

if phils doing it i'm sure he has a way to plug the cylinder

ya i bet he does, was just thinking that if i do that i have to do the other one also..... dont feel like taking it off right now just chg the oil and put on the ss line. so maybe i will just paint it this year, not sure, dont want it to look funny the two next to each other.

I have replaced the site glass on my 86 vfr with good results and would like to replace them on my 85 Vmax. Could anyone tell me the size of the lens.
Thanks,
Gary W Thomas

I have ordered the glass from eBay and did it myself. Drill a small hole through the middle and put a screw in to help break it out. Then just use the clear RTV Permatex adhesive to install. A goodPC shop should be able to keep the powder out of areas you don't want it.

There is a guy on ebay that will take your master, install the new glass, and ship it back to you for around $35

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...8460259QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here is his feedback page (in case anyone is looking at this a year from now)
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aboardbobbinalong/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

The vendor above that Mike linked is still doing the sight glass repair but for $39.99 and here is his link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SITE-SI...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3370c99f79

Here is his store link: http://stores.ebay.com/bobsnewnvintagepartsnproducts

Thanks,Just looking for the size to replace them, can get them here www.toolsgs.com for a 1.00 apiece and they work very well.
Just did not want to take it apart to measure .
Thanks,

Gary W Thomas

A poor economy to spend $40 for a new sight glass when a new master cyl. complete is avail. from ronayresmotorsports.com for <$100. The $1.00 lens replacement is fair.

You can also break-out your crazed cracked original one & take the measurement to your local jeweler for a replacement watch lens, in quartz.

I will add that I ordered from the site I mentioned above, and it was the 18MM lens. Fits "like a glove!"

I have edit/retract my statement about the 18mm. The BRAKE MC was 18mm but the clutch MC appears to be 16mm. I stand corrected!! Sorry!

i had to bake mine out. they turned to mush. Questions. Do you NEED the little piece inside the window that has the slit? mine came out and is kinda beat.
I then need to order kits for both, they are not cheap either. Has anyone pulled the kits from the masters and reused?
any tutorials on putting in a new master kit?
Michael

Latest posts

Back