manetizing valve shims??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlifexj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on a small issue I noticed in part #2 of the valve adjustment thread. In "g's" description of Sean's shim kit he mentions a magnet to remove and position the shims. Then shows the shims in another pic being held by the magnet. ok here's the question... Is anyone worried about magnetizing the shims?? I personally would be worried about magnetizing the shims making them attract metal particles. A magnetized shim attracting steel/iron from the oil and causing premature wear on the cam lobe. It just seams like a good way to increase cam lobe wear by magnetizing the shims.

Well maybe I'm thinking too literal...but if you have metal particles floating around in the oil, you have bigger issues, and pretty soon the crank bearings are gone.

i was referring more to the normal everyday wear on the internals that any engine is subject to. Think about the magnet on an oil plug, that black stuff that you whip off the plug when you do an oil change (metal particles).. I wasn't really talking about the guy that dills out a broken valve cover bolt and leaves shavings in the head:shot: lol.

Doesnt the oil go from the pan, to the filter, and then fresh oil goes to the rest of the engine, and if there are small particles in the oil, arent cam lobes hardened anyways?

yes i think your right on all that stuff. it just seems to me that not using a magnet vs. using a magnet would be a little bit of insurance for not creating any extra wear on the cam lobes down the road. the only reason i brought it up is because when i did the shims on my other bike i was told that using a magnet was a bad idea so i wanted to see what others thought about it or if anyone even thought about it or if there was way to demagnetize the shims like you do with a screwdriver.

Well Sean is usually on in the afternoons....maybe he can help answer these questions?

I would think that (in theory) IF metal particulate "were" to become attracted to the magnetized shims (if a quick usage of the magnetic pen could cause the shim to become magnetized), that the metal particulate would be easily moved aside from the spinning lobe and remain in a pattern just outside the reach of the spinning lobe. Thus resulting in a non issue.
I think I'll go have another rye and beer.

Can they become magnetic just by using one to remove them? I have my doubts.

I've use a magnet to remove the shims and they have never shown any signs of becoming one themselves.

I'm more worried about the effects that all the negative thoughts in the world have upon my batteries ability to pass electrons.........:ummm:

hahaha yea I've yet to master using positive thoughts to keep the batter charged. maybe the shims don't have enough iron in them to really matter but most steel/iron parts will retain magnetic properties when you use a magnet on them. the same way passing a magnet over a screw driver will magnetize it.

I think they'd be a PIA to get out without using a magnet. And dropping one is more of a worry. I'm not worried about the small amount of magnetism left by the magnet.
Steve-

Once the heel of the cam is over the bucket (and the tool successfully held the bucket down) you can stick a small NON MAGNETIC screwdriver in there and pop the shim up. IF the edge of the bucket/shim comes back UP beyond the edge of the head casting the tool "missed" and you'll have to do it again. It just takes practice and be sure the cam is EXACTLY centered on the bucket when you bolt in the tool and it will work every time.

poptheshim.jpg

Using a NON MAGNETIC TOOL* I prefer hemostats, pluck the shim out.

pluck_it_out.jpg

*Non magnetic tools are important as the shim and bucket are made of an easily magnetized alloy. If they become even weakly magnetized they will attract microscopic particles of metal and accelerate the wear on the cam and shims.

The about section from valve adjustment for the Yamaha "yics" series of engines is the reason I asked you guys about our Vmax shims. I would think they are made out of the same material and the logic behind "don't use magnets" seems very sound to me... Anyways I just thought I would explain why I was asking the question. thanks

Damn it ! Now i know why you can still out pull me in 5th gear. It's all those magnetized shims in my valvetrain. Oh well next step NOS ! She's goin on the bottle baby ! j/k LOL :)

Latest posts

Back