Oil Drain Cracked

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Django

Reaction score
Changed the oil today 2002 VMax to find this when reinstalling the plug. Didn't torc it hard. Had a small drip tightened a bit and felt stripped. Any suggestion for a easy fix?

p1249871229-5.jpg

JB weld would probably do it for short term but new oil pan is in your future I would say, not too hard to replace really, i'm sure someone on here probably has one they would sell you.

Ive used epoxy putty on cars and trucks oil pans to great success. Just make sure its clean, dry and rough sanded first. Its not hard to swap the pan though. Worst part is taking the exhaust off.

I'd try epoxy or jb weld. Probably won't last too long though. Typically the oil is in the cracks and it compromises the bond.

You might make it till winter with a patch job. I'd plan to replace the pan over winter. Hardest part is pulling the exhaust (if oem) and scraping the gasket

As for scraping the gasket, make a scraper from a flattened piece of hard copper tubing, sharpened with a file. Cut a piece of tubing on a steep angle, flatten it out on the end and square it off then file to a sharp edge.

No matter how hard you scrape, it is impossible to gouge the aluminum case with copper.

You will have to touch up the scraper's edge with the file every munite or so.

Back on the road again.
A big thanks to Damon for all of your help! Enjoyed meeting you today and seeing your great looking bikes. The forum is lucky to have someone like him with all his knowledge and generosity

p1251439175-4.jpg

p1251439253-4.jpg

p1251439363-6.jpg

+1 for Damon great guy he helped me out too without asking for anything, lots of great guys on here glad to hear you got your problem fixed

Latest posts

Back