So what does it mean when you have popping out the exhaust?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Noticed a bit of popping out one of my right exhausts at idle. Recall reading here, concerns about popping. Wanted to ask you guys What it is, should I be concerned, and what would be a remedy?

Is it just a lean popping (backfire...etc) or is it an uneven sound? What are you A/F screws set at?

Can be a fouled plug or even rich condition with fuel burning on exhaust rather than on cylinder?

Just picked up my "new" Max yesterday, had to ride 145 miles to get her home. More than i'd like to without a thorough going through but everything looks pretty good. will say had some mild backfiring on decel mainly, a little on idle as well. I'm new to Max, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Decel popping is usually caused by a lean condition OR exhaust leaks.

Just picked up my "new" Max yesterday, had to ride 145 miles to get her home. More than i'd like to without a thorough going through but everything looks pretty good. will say had some mild backfiring on decel mainly, a little on idle as well. I'm new to Max, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

What do the plugs look like-color?

Ok, thanks guys. I will check this as soon as I get a day off. Another thing happened a couple of times now, when I get on the throttle it bogs down, actually died on me the other day. When I hit the choke as it bogs down it seems to alleviate the issue. I noticed the bogging at hard throttle, also seems to surge/hesitate when cruising about 70ish, in fact first time it bogged I was cruising around 70, hit the throttle to a reasonable speed and that's the first time it bogged down and died. Guessing shotgun or peashooter first, check for leaks to exhaust and intake to start, perhaps new plugs, any recommendations are appreciated.

Probably completely unrelated to yours. But I had this exhaust pooping thing going on that was driving me nuts. Found that I hadn't properly secured the breather hose to the oil filler cap(stage 7 part) and the boot had ripped letting air into that circuit. Trimmed it back and put it on properly, Bam! Fixed.

Sounds like you have some sort of carb issue going on. Shooter cleaning, diaphram inspection for rips, and making certain your intake boots/ box/ pods is all sealed properly is a damn good place to start. Checking the sync would be another.

Good Luck!

Probably completely unrelated to yours. But I had this exhaust pooping thing going on that was driving me nuts. Found that I hadn't properly secured the breather hose to the oil filler cap(stage 7 part) and the boot had ripped letting air into that circuit. Trimmed it back and put it on properly, Bam! Fixed.

Sounds like you have some sort of carb issue going on. Shooter cleaning, diaphram inspection for rips, and making certain your intake boots/ box/ pods is all sealed properly is a damn good place to start. Checking the sync would be another.

Good Luck!

His is in the jetblock.

Latest posts

Back