Valve adjustment/Pre detonation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX2006

Reaction score
I need some wisdom from you old salty vmax lovers..

Ok I bought a stupid clean 06 max with 4500 miles, had a lot of popping so I have gutted the carbs and she is clean and sounding well.. There a little stutter between 2500-3500. I keep checking the plugs and 3 look perfect.. A nice light brown coat on the plugs.. But here's the issue... Plug on cylinder 2 just has a small thin white coat on the plug prong.. No matter how much I change the A/F it doesn't change.. A buddy of mine believes a valve is opening early and most of the fuel is being sucked out before detonation. So a valve adjustment might be the answer..

So I have inspected all boots, diaphragms and all are perfect. The bike has the Sean Morleys muscle kit with dual exhaust. I'm pretty decent with a wrench but I have never done a valve adjustment.. So I wouldn't paying to get it done.. If that's the case.. Anyone know a vmax guru around the DC area?

I need some wisdom from you old salty vmax lovers..

Ok I bought a stupid clean 06 max with 4500 miles, had a lot of popping so I have gutted the carbs and she is clean and sounding well.. There a little stutter between 2500-3500. I keep checking the plugs and 3 look perfect.. A nice light brown coat on the plugs.. But here's the issue... Plug on cylinder 2 just has a small thin white coat on the plug prong.. No matter how much I change the A/F it doesn't change.. A buddy of mine believes a valve is opening early and most of the fuel is being sucked out before detonation. So a valve adjustment might be the answer..

So I have inspected all boots, diaphragms and all are perfect. The bike has the Sean Morleys muscle kit with dual exhaust. I'm pretty decent with a wrench but I have never done a valve adjustment.. So I wouldn't paying to get it done.. If that's the case.. Anyone know a vmax guru around the DC area?

Check them yourself. Basic tools needed only. If you have a tight one, you'll need the spring compressing tool, available on E-Bay for around $60. Worth having for a Vmax wrencher. I don't think your valves are out of adjustment at 4500 miles. The first adjustment is around 25k I believe. See the shotgun procedure for the carbs. It's something a Vmax owner will be doing often.
Steve-o

Back