Vmax running rough at steady throttle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me personally I wouldn't worry about 10 degrees.....mine are within 50 degrees of each other at idle.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

There is a large hex head bolt near the spark plug - the center of that so I would be sure it was exactly the same place on all 4 cylinders.

I have a kerker 4-1.....and I measured about an inch coming out of the head on each exhaust pipe.

Glad it helped- check the temps on each exhaust just coming out of the head- if you have heat shield then just after them. At idle try to get it as close to as you can.The rear cylinders will also show hotter after riding because of the fresh air and the fan on front. Harleys always ran hotter on the rear cylinder because of the fresh air on the front cylinder. I have my a/f mixture screws adjusted to compensate. Mine show only 2 to 3 degrees difference.

Well, I opted for a more expensive model of the temperature gauge. It worked perfectly. I found that the right rear cylinder was not firing. (I thought for sure it was the left rear.) I had apparently cut the plug wire a bit too short when I replaced them. Fortunately, I had a little wire left and cut it a bit longer, and...

VOILA!

I do believe that was the problem! I took it for a short ride, and it's MUCH more responsive. It does not sound like it's missing anymore. I won't be able to take it for a longer ride until Wednesday (weather permitting) but I think I am good to go.

Now, can anyone explain why my right front cylinder seems to be running about 10 degrees hotter than the other three?
Is your kickstand down on the ground?

Then your float bowls would have more gas in the #1 & #3 carbs and the other two on the high side would be leaner. Makes it hotter.Try it on the center stand.

I do agree that it needs to be on a level surface.....but the reason for the 10 degree difference is that he is measuring the temp of the heads.....and not the temp of the exhaust gas Temps. ...IE...the temp of the pipes. If 1 and 3 were lean......both of them would run hotter. ...and no not just a 10 degree difference on one cylinder....with the other 3 the same temp.

All good info. Never would have thought about the carb levels being so much different on the side stand. Thanks guys. My cheapie temp gun doesn't seem to give me anything consistent. I guess you get what you pay for.

Dale

All good info. Never would have thought about the carb levels being so much different on the side stand. Thanks guys. My cheapie temp gun doesn't seem to give me anything consistent. I guess you get what you pay for.

Dale

When i first start it and have it on the sidestand the #1 &#3 do get hotter faster.

Latest posts

Back