How to put VMax on center stand?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkuberek

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is anyone here able to put the vmax on center stand alone? Do you have to be super strong or is there a technic?

I don't have anyone to help me with this and I would really like to know how to do it myself.

If you have a link to a video that would be awesome.

Thanks

Grab left bar.
Step on center stand while leveling the bike.
Feel for both feet to touch down.
Grab rear grab rail.
Step firmly with right foot while pulling up and back with both hands.
Lowered suspension makes this whole thing super hard.

I'm only 138 Lbs. and Mine is lowered 1 1/2" and I can still do it with this technique. I'm not sure how anyone puts any other bike on it's center stand, it's seems it's the same for all bikes. The difference with the Max is that once I get the stand touching equally with both legs, I have to actually stand on it by lifting my left foot completely. Don't just stand and pull, you should push with your leg as hard as you pull with your hand. don't baby it or hesitate, just commit to it. It is very important to be on a firm level surface so that it doesn't tip away from you, it would be impossible to stop the fall, which has never happened to me, touch wood. The extra weight of standing on it actually holds it level and prevents it from getting off center.

Matt
P.S. I'll try to do a short 15 second video on this later today and post it tomorrow.

I'm only 138 Lbs. and Mine is lowered 1 1/2" and I can still do it with this technique. I'm not sure how anyone puts any other bike on it's center stand, it's seems it's the same for all bikes. The difference with the Max is that once I get the stand touching equally with both legs, I have to actually stand on it by lifting my left foot completely. Don't just stand and pull, you should push with your leg as hard as you pull with your hand. don't baby it or hesitate, just commit to it. It is very important to be on a firm level surface so that it doesn't tip away from you, it would be impossible to stop the fall, which has never happened to me, touch wood. The extra weight of standing on it actually holds it level and prevents it from getting off center.

Matt
P.S. I'll try to do a short 15 second video on this later today and post it tomorrow.

LOL....your a better man than I am. Never could do it for the first 6 months of having the bike. After that, i bought a bike lift...and it wasnt a loss when I went to a kerker 4-1.

Pretty sure there is a thread here with a ton of posts on this subject.

My bike is lowered a good bit. I back it onto a 2x6 ramp. Makes life much easier

Matt

Had a xs 1100 for ten years could never get it on the center stand, someone showed me this technique now I can put my venture and my goldwing on the center stand no problem oh and my v max too, it works

Grab left bar.
Step on center stand while leveling the bike.
Feel for both feet to touch down.
Grab rear grab rail.
Step firmly with right foot while pulling up and back with both hands.
Lowered suspension makes this whole thing super hard.

Almost exactly as I do it, however I placed longer Allen bolts with spacers on them through the grab rail when I deleted the passenger backrest. (homemade slider knobs.) I use the one on the left side to act as a lifting handle instead of grabbing the rail. I do use my body weight to heave the bike back and up while lifting at the same time. My front is dropped almost 2 inches.

ok. I had seen a youtube video on a goldwing but I was not confident enough. Will try again.

Thanks

To make it easier roll it onto two 2x6's first.

You know, that never even occurred to me, simple things are best sometimes. I've always just strained my way through it without ever thinking about it. I have to say with stock suspension I don't find it difficult at all, I would never bother with the boards, but with it lowered it does take all I've got so why not? I'm getting older and I'm finally starting to realize it. I'll give the 2x6's a try next time, what could it hurt?

Matt

With a lowered suspension I nearly have a brain aneurism trying to my max on the center stand.
A section of 2x6 or 2x4 under the real wheel makes all of the difference.

Since I went to 17" tires I absolutely need a 2" by 6" board under the back tire to get her on the center stand. I used to be able to get it up there without much fuss with stock wheels. There is a technique to it for sure. There is a little guy at the local shop in town that puts it right up on the center stand easily. Our bikes aren't light, and few can muscle it up there on a lowered bike. Garrett, Mark, no problem....lol

When I got my first '86 it had 1" shorter rear shocks and it was basically impossible to get it up on the center stand on level ground. The only way was indeed to park the rear wheel on a piece of wood at least 1" high, then it was easy peasy.

With a standard Max though, the trick is to press hard on the center stand while pulling up and back, it is quite easy once you get the sync of the three movements - a bit like smoothly changing gears with the clutch/gear lever/gas interaction :)

My suspension I stock. I push the center stand down till I feel both sides touch, roll it forward a little with my hand on the bats and under the rear fender. I push down and pull back. I'm 6' 4" and over 250lbs so it's probably harder if your a smaller guy

I'm 5'7" and 165lbs on a good day, and have no problem using the center stand. My suspension is stock. Rock the bike side to side, lightly pressing the stand down to locate both pads of the center stand, pull up on the grab handle, while stepping down with the right foot and pull the bike slightly to the rear. I pull in one violent, quick motion. Sometimes I can feel the center stand scrape across the concrete instead of moving the bike backwards. You just have to commit to it. Reminds me of doing a dead lift or hang cleans in weight training.

Like Beezer said, make sure both centerstand steps are on the ground,
and if they are just one hard pull and step on the stand. Easy as can be.

I can even put it on the stand while sitting on the bike. Again both steps
eveN on the ground. left foot on the stand. Kick down hard en pull the max backwards.

It is all about technique, not strength. Don't try and lift the bike onto the center stand with your upper body strength. Steady the bike by holding the left grip and rear handle, but it is your weight applied to the center stand that 'levers' the bike upwards and backwards. Your upper body should be centered over the bike for maximum efficiency.

My VMax pops up on the center stand like a mini bike. Of course, I weigh over 300 pounds, so gravity helps a bit..

Latest posts

Back