Torque Settings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Going to take the rear tire off, change a tire. Gives me a chance to use my new torque wrench. Would really appreciate a listing of torque settings I should use to put the tire back on.

If memory serves, need it on axle and caliper bolts. Thanks.

Most recommend a lot less on the rear axle nut. Around 50 ft lbs. Can cause binding at 85 ft lbs. Test movement of wheel before and after torquing to see if wheel moves as freely. If binding, ease off till binding is gone. Varies from bike to bike but I can get about 65-70 ft lbs or so. YMMV....

:ummm:
Clymer manual list 110 for early years and 100 for later years for the axle.

Yamaha shop manual says 100.:confused2:

Great info. Question: there are 2 bolts that held the calipers to the piece the axle goes through and one bolt and nut that held that piece on the top to the long stay. So the 2 bolts are 32 ftpd and the stay bolt and nut is 16 ftpd? Think I got it.

Great info. Question: there are 2 bolts that held the calipers to the piece the axle goes through and one bolt and nut that held that piece on the top to the long stay. So the 2 bolts are 32 ftpd and the stay bolt and nut is 16 ftpd? Think I got it.

Yup, that's it. The caliper bolts to the caliper bracket (that the axle goes thru) with two bolts, the brake stay bolts to the top of the caliper bracket and the other end bolts to the swingarm, there is a bolt and nut at either end but you probly only need to loosen the caliper bracket end.

Actually, you may be able to just remove the caliper then swing the caliper bracket and stay up enough to give you room to get the tire off.

Hi, I was after the same info and have tried working the torque down until there is no binding. I'm down to 40lbs and the wheel moves freely enough. Is this to low in your opinions?

Hi, I was after the same info and have tried working the torque down until there is no binding. I'm down to 40lbs and the wheel moves freely enough. Is this to low in your opinions?

I run 35-40 lbs myself. But I don't have a stock wheel. I think 100 lbs is to tight for any.
Steve

Latest posts

Back