Need help in Phoenix area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it only me or is that gear teeth I see in that pic...I'd slowly spin that to ensure a tooth didn't sheer and punch the hole...

Personally, I'd have it welded up, but to do it right you'd need some access to the underneath of that hole to lay some steel stock as a base.

You could also use alumiweld (aluminum rod that melt with a normal propane torch)...but you'd still want access to get a steel backing in there to form the inside correctly and not have drip-down...

Is it only me or is that gear teeth I see in that pic...I'd slowly spin that to ensure a tooth didn't sheer and punch the hole...

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Drain the oil and check for debris too.

I think I'm going to either use JB Weld SteelStik to form a slug that fills the hole OR put a metal washer over the hole and use regular JB Weld to secure that to the case. Hopefully I'll get it all done this weekend and take her for a test drive in a helmet and full gear just in case. My wife asked if it would be safe to ride and I shrugged my shoulders and said "I don't have a clue but I'll make sure to wear my helmet and jacket just in case." Needless to say she wasn't too happy when she heard that LOL

Hole is patched, went for a test ride and I'm still alive! I used some putty-like stuff called QuikSteel that can withstand constant heat up to 425 degrees and just put it over the hole. Where it was located was right where th case started to curve so a piece of flat aluminum or something similar wouldn't have worked.

Strangely, when I got done with the job I curiously had lost all pressure in the clutch lever so I bled that and added new fluid. Noticed then take reservoir was low so I topped that off too.

Next step is to figure out how to properly tune it again. I think I may need new seals between the headers and exhaust ports too, as I'm noticing some smoke seeping out at the union.

If it wasn't so stinking expensive I would just convert this thing over to fuel injection!!!

I've used quicksteel for a lot of things - from patching cracks in plastic side covers to creating small brackets, and rebuilding fins I've broken off covers. Haven't had it fail yet, even on the ones that get hot next to the engine. I love the moldability - good choice!

Maybe you can patch that exhaust leak with it. :D

Back