Battery pooped the bed.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Been riding a month or so with the new MOSFET regulator. All seemed well, but I noticed the non running voltage seemed to have dropped a bit. Bike seemed to have a tiny amount of trouble cranking sometimes, too. Well, it sat over a week while I was at Thunder, and only showed 10.1 Volts at battery. Dropped to like 7 Volts trying to start, which it didn't... Fully charged battery, only got a bit over 12 Volts. This dropped to 11.2 sitting overnight. Battery was a Yuasa Gold Wing battery, 5 or 6 years old. Glenn had a 1 year old Interstate Heavy Duty AGM battery, which fit really well. About an inch shorter, but a piece of wood took care of that. The bike starts instantly, and voltage immediately stabilizes at 14.5, from idle to high speed..

For what its worth, the old battery did not use any water over the 7 or 800 miles since the regulator swap..

I thought from the thread title the battery case ruptured & gave the chassis an acid bath. Glad that wasn't it.

I thought from the thread title the battery case ruptured & gave the chassis an acid bath. Glad that wasn't it.
Yeah. I was waiting for pics of a melted bike or something. Is that battery you're using now in the list of compatible ones (wherever that list is)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The AGM battery I replaced the Gold Wing battery is holding 12.9 volts days after I ran the bike last. It came out of a Triumph Rocket 3, and should work fine. I charged the old style flooded battery and am monitoring voltage. It has lost 1.8 volts in 48 hours... Sounds like it definitely is toast.

Back