what fuels do you run ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
I'm just curious

Who runs what, standard grade unleaded, ethanol, premium,E85 ?, or race fuel.

I my self make my own blend. 2 parts premium 1 part race fuel (110 octane)

vmax is stage 7,kerker 4 into 1 comp baffle.

Unless you have a timing curve with more advance.....or higher compression....your wasting your money. The stock curve and stock compression is designed to run on 87 non ethanol fuel.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I basically have the same set up that you do.....and the ONLY reason why I am running premium. ...is I am running the equivalent of the dyna 3000 curve number 3 which is 5 degrees over stock on the full throttle advance...and I've lost hp at the dyno with just 87.

Plain old 87 Octane for my Stock 2000 just like the Manual says.
attachment.php

Attachments

• VMax_Fuel.jpg
    VMax_Fuel.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 97
I have no knocking or pinging . Bike runs great

the race fuel and the 91 octane make my mix around 95 to 98 octane.
And the inside of my carbs look like new.

Unless you have a timing curve with more advance.....or higher compression....your wasting your money. The stock curve and stock compression is designed to run on 87 non ethanol fuel.
+1
The subject has come up many times. 'Tis best to use what the manufacturer suggests.
I've had no problem at all using 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanol. I just add a bit of Seafoam every other tank or so, and do not let the bike sit idle for extended periods (as in weeks).
Winter storage is a different story. While still on the road, the last tank is premium non-ethanol, then the bike is topped up with the same, with a gas treatment added for good measure. It's kept in a semi-heated garage, and started once a month. No carburation problems to date.
Cheers!

To make certain that a fuel resists detonation. ...you have a higher octane. A higher octane means that the fuel burns slower. ...to resist detonation. If a fuel burns slower.....less hp.

To make certain that a fuel resists detonation. ...you have a higher octane. A higher octane means that the fuel burns slower. ...to resist detonation. If a fuel burns slower.....less hp.
I have met sooooo many people that equate higher octane to "more power!".....that I gave up long ago trying to explain their error in thinking.
I just end up feeling sorry for them, for the money that they are wasting, purchasing premium gas for a lower octane engine. C'est la vie.
Cheers!

I have not said anything about "more power"
I have a stock motor with stage 7 mods. It is what it is.
using this mix keeps my carbs from having any problems.
I don't need or use seafoam(money saved)
I've ran the 87 non ethanol but it always gave me problems.
every time i used it . i ended up with crap in my bowls. then on hard throttle.
it would pop and stumble.
better fuel less moister.
I just love how some people think a dyno number will win a race.You can have the fastest bike out there on a dyno. But still get your butt handed to you in a race.Just saying there is more to riding and racing than dyno numbers. like reaction time,handling,traction,gearing and how big your head is.
it slows you down at speeds over 35mph.

The difference between regular, plus and premium gas is the octane rating… 87, 91, and 93 if I remember correctly. Every bike has its own rating, and I am going to guess that your bike is 87 or 91. A lot of people think that giving a bike a higher grade of gas is a way to give it “extra treatment,” but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. The higher octane rating means that the gas *burns hotter*, and if you give an 87 octane bike 93 octane gas, you are making the combustion process burn much hotter than what the engine is designed to handle, making the bike wear out much faster! If you gave your bike premium gas every day it would wear out sooner than expected, and giving it premium gas even one day (like a birthday) is not a present at all. If you want your bike to last as long as possible, stick to the octane rating it calls for.

All of the above holds merit for certain. I know this though... The Vmax engine is not a FLEX FUEL design. I do not wish to put any alcohol into the carburetors and engine for a myriad of reasons, all of which have been stated above and within other posts.
Up here in C'est la vie land, we are blessed by the absence of E85 at the pumps. How long with this hold out, who knows for certain. I guess this depends on how hard the tree-huggers push in the coming years. We do have statements on the majority of pumps that read something like "fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol". These labels, IF present, are usually placed above 2 of the 3 octane choices available for purchase. A station might have Bronze, Silver and Gold with increasing octane ratings stated below. A few stations may even offer a fourth even higher octane. I'll choose whatever is available that doesn't include alcohol. I've noticed that since I have been doing so, I have WAY less carburetor and engine operation issues. BTW, I still also use Seafoam once in awhile. Yeah, I know this stuff can be "hard" on carburetor components too. But I think that it's a lesser evil than to bath your max in alcohol at every fill up.
I don't track my Max, and don't know if I will ever care to. If I wanted to make the sort of power that is required to "win" races, I'd be doing this trade for a living including sponsorship etc. Again, I don't, so to me, bringing this sort of "extra" horse power to the streets seems a waste for me. All I really want is that 20 years from now, to have a vintage ride that I and others can appreciate looking at. AND it still is ridable! Just like my 84 XJ750RL I've had since new.
Nope. My thoughts are to keep my max for MANY fun filled, less headache, ridable years. I hope to have it bronzed like baby shoes, and use it as my tombstone one day in fact. That way when petrol is all dried up and folks come to visit me at my site, they can jump aboard and enjoy one last blessed hell ride with me.

I only use non-ethanol gas in my bike. I am lucky to have a station very close and keep 2 5 gallons jugs in the garage so I can fuel as needed. If am on a long ride with and have no option I was using 87 on my Gen 1 (with Stabil) and 93 on my Gen 2 (also with Stabil)

Plain old 87 Octane for my Stock 2000 just like the Manual says.
attachment.php

what are you guys missing. IT SAYS 86 OCTANE OR HIGHER
And if 91 or higher causes pinging.switch fuels,brand or rating.

My 1985 is doing just fine. looks and runs better than alot of newer max's (86-2007)

It's too bad even asking what fuel you run. brings out the internet know it alls.
who can only slam . for what works for you.

That says RON (Research Octane Number, the system used in Europe) 91 and is equal to 87 US ([R+M/2]) Octane:
http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html
And it says only use premium if you engine knocks or pings when using 86 US Octane (91 RON) fuel.

PS
You are letting yourself get worked up for no reason.
It's your bike so use what you want and be happy.

Last edited:
I generally use the lowest oct rating without ethanol for everything, it's strongly recommended for small engines like mowers, line trimmers et al unless you want to do annual carb rebuilds. I'm not sure if there are any ethanol friendly carb kits out there but I have not seen them yet.

Unfortunately here and many other places I have been only have premium without ethanol. My car is a quad cam V8 and requires premium per Lexus. With ethanol tainted fuels I can feel the difference in pickup and loose some MPG, she is really happy with pure premium. I have never put ethanol in the bike and hope that I never have to but i'm only on my 3rd tankful.

My dream car is a Tesla S, I'll be thrilled when I can cage it up with no petrol at all!! I think bikes are still a ways off in this regard though. Althernative energy is something we really do need to develope.

Ethanol is a very bad answer to a very good question.

I have not said anything about "more power"

I just love how some people think a dyno number will win a race.You can have the fastest bike out there on a dyno. But still get your butt handed to you in a race.Just saying there is more to riding and racing than dyno numbers. like reaction time,handling,traction,gearing and how big your head is.
it slows you down at speeds over 35mph.

Well you do care about power....then why have a stage 7? I have taken my Vmax to the dyno....because I like to tinker. I like to find out what A Vmax likes...and what it doesnt. For good or bad...I post my results for the people that dont have access to a dyno, as easy as I have. (I live about 2 miles from one). Its not about getting the highest numbers....or even being an arm chair quarterback and saying my bike is faster because it makes X number of HP. Its about finding out what makes a Vmax run better, and using a dyno as a TUNING TOOL.

That says RON (Research Octane Number, the system used in Europe) 91 and is equal to 87 US ([R+M/2]) Octane:
http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html
And it says only use premium if you engine knock oer pings when using 86 US Octane (91 RON) fuel.

PS
You are letting yourself get worked up for no reason.
It's your bike so use what you want and be happy.

Yep...this is a lively discussion...but you asked what other people were running and now you have the answers and why.

I personally appreciate traumahawks posting numbers- every bit helps and it is his dime we wishes to share.:clapping:

I remember when I was running leaded gas for the first few years of my 1984's life. We were worried about absence of lead and the effects of having none to help with valve seats etc.

Back