Car tyre on rear of 2000 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day, I have a side car on my Vmax 1200 and was wondering if anyone knows what size car tyre will fit. Thanks Derek

There's one listed on the darkside forum. It's a 165 85 something. I can't remember the brand. Might be tough to find, though.

I think I've only seen it mentioned here once or twice. Mosty guys think you'll explode into a million pieces if you run a car tire. Using one with a side car rig is different (of course). Try the search. There's a ton of info on here.

VW size is a 165R15 (165/80-15). With a side car mileage will be extended. Without the side car the handling will go to shit. Biggest problem is grinding down the welds for the bead locks since the car bead is thicker.

Thanks for that info, I've ordered a Kuhmo 165/80 - 15 which should be here tomorrow. I'm curious though , have you actually fitted one of these tryes? I have had a look at some pics of the wheel (don't have the real one out of the bike) and note that the 'bead lock' you seem to be referring to is not a weld but simply a ridge that goes all the way around.

This is an inner lip that the tire must pass over in order to full seat in place. It won't be a weld but will be an integral part of the wheel. It will be right at the inner portion of the flange that the tire bead sits on.

Well, I did it. Now have a car tyre on the rear of the Vmax. Yes, it was hard to fit (at least that is what the bike shop told me:biglaugh:). Didn't have to grind anything off the bead lock ridge. It fits nice. Gunna try posting a pic (hope it works)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 85
Derek,

I wish I'd posted sooner, but you have great feelings in your future.

I ran darkside for almost a year on my Valkyrie Interstate. I spent that year pretending the wonky feedback I was getting when cornering was bearable. I also installed several iterations of mud flap farkles in an attempt to stop pelting my riding buddies with all manner of road debris.

After the year, I broke down and returned to the world of frequent motorcycle tire purchases. The first corner I took on a motorcycle tire was my most memorable corner ever. For the first time in a year, I got to experience the joy of feeling confident while leaning a bike. I have not complained about expensive tires needing replaced every 3k since.

Derek,

I wish I'd posted sooner, but you have great feelings in your future.

I ran darkside for almost a year on my Valkyrie Interstate. I spent that year pretending the wonky feedback I was getting when cornering was bearable. I also installed several iterations of mud flap farkles in an attempt to stop pelting my riding buddies with all manner of road debris.

After the year, I broke down and returned to the world of frequent motorcycle tire purchases. The first corner I took on a motorcycle tire was my most memorable corner ever. For the first time in a year, I got to experience the joy of feeling confident while leaning a bike. I have not complained about expensive tires needing replaced every 3k since.

He's with a sidecar remember, I'm assuming in your case that you weren't?

What you have to remember is that this is not your regular 'dark side' experience. Look closely and you will see I have a sidecar (on the left because I am in Australia). I have however, had a car tyre on the back of myGL 1800. While this isn't as good as the normal motorcycle tyre experience, I am mainly using the wing for long distance touring towing a trailer. I have my Ninja for the fast stuff.

wait...wait...wait...you have a SIDECAR on your v max AND a car tire?

Respectfully, Why? Wouldn't a V-Twin do better with a sidecar?

Why not a Vmax? They are a strong reliable bike with tons of torque and HP. They have solid wheels, shaft drive (and with all due respect to those that think otherwise) they don't handle very well as a solo motorcycle. Perfect for a sidecar (except for the small fuel tank). When I took my wife for a ride on some of our back roads (these are Aussie backroads) before I put the sidecar on, we managed about 200kms before she said she now knew why I bought the bike to put the sidecar on. The thing had to be given a written invitation before it would go round some of the corners (particularly at any real speed. ) All my opinions of course, others will disagree.

No reason at all not to use a Vmax. Much better pulling power to haul the additional weight of the sidecar. You may want to consider replacing the front wheel as well with a car type tire (will take some custom wheel and mounting work to be done). This will extend the tire life considerably and increase handling (only while you have a sidecar).

At the same time as putting on the rear car tyre, I put on a new front one. I was lucky enough that the guys who put the car tyre on also had in stock a Dunlop K70 (I'd post a picture but don't have one available here at work). It is basically an 'old school' tyre used on older british bikes, very block type tread pattern. It is a 4.00 x 18 (which is the equivalent of a 110x18). While it is mainly used on the rear of those bikes, it is non-directional so can be used on the front. Not worried about the speed rating as a rarely go over 160kmh (that's 100mph in your money). I'll see how it goes for wear (should be OK given it isn't a sports tyre).

Back