To Slime, or not to Slime....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
That is my question.
Over the winter, my front tire has developed a slow leak. The rubber all looks good, no apparent punctures, and I get some bubbles appearing at the rim when I use soapy water.
Is Slime effective? I've never used it, but I carry a bottle with me when riding the bike. Would be less hassle & expense to use this, rather than the alternative of bringing the wheel to a shop.
If used, does it leave a heavy residue that has to be cleaned from the rim, prior to mounting and balancing a new tire?
Cheers!

Miles, have you tried whacking the rim and tire with a rubber mallet....sometimes that will stop bead leaking. It's probly corrosion build-up and will need wire brushing at the next tire change.

Slime should be used only for emergencies, I have seen slime put in wheels before and your wheel will become unbalanced if it doesn't settle correctly.....

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

Miles, have you tried whacking the rim and tire with a rubber mallet....sometimes that will stop bead leaking. It's probably corrosion build-up and will need wire brushing at the next tire change.

Dang good idea, Dan. I'll certainly give it a go, before Sliming or shopping the wheel. Thanks!

Slime should be used only for emergencies, I have seen slime put in wheels before and your wheel will become unbalanced if it doesn't settle correctly.....

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

Yes. Not to be run permanently. Will definitely unbalance a wheel.

As far as working hell yes

I've put LARGE amounts of it in 4 wheeler, lawn mower, wheel barrow, deer lease off road trucks etc and left it for years. It's fantastic stuff.

Even had it seal up damaged rubber valve stem, had a visible crack in it and shooting out air as fast as you put it in.
That was on daughters wheel barrow where I was able to turn it sideways and make sure it got to that spot.

is it at the bead? could make a cheap bead breaker or a big c-clamp, break the bead, run some scotch brite pads along, clean any debri and re-inflate.

is it at the bead? could make a cheap bead breaker or a big c-clamp, break the bead, run some scotch brite pads along, clean any debri and re-inflate.

+1

Sometimes just re-seating the bead does the trick.

As noted, slime works. Its a mess to clean up afterwards. I'd have no issues using it in a roadside emergency or, on the dirt bike, quad, whatever. I wouldn't leave it in there as a long term solution. Next time you go to have the tire changed the guy won't be happy with you!

+1

Sometimes just re-seating the bead does the trick.

As noted, slime works. Its a mess to clean up afterwards. I'd have no issues using it in a roadside emergency or, on the dirt bike, quad, whatever. I wouldn't leave it in there as a long term solution. Next time you go to have the tire changed the guy won't be happy with you!

or my last tire change, guy had supermoto wheels he bought of someone else who had glued the tube valve stems into the hole. ugh.

Miles, have you tried whacking the rim and tire with a rubber mallet....sometimes that will stop bead leaking. It's probably corrosion build-up and will need wire brushing at the next tire change.

You de man, Dan!
Took the wheel off, laid horizontal, sprayed it with soapy water.... leaking in multiple spots around the bead. Wacked each one with a rubber mallet, all stopped leaking! The tire has held 46psi for over 24 hrs. Time to put back on bike!
The rim will definitely have to be cleaned up, at the next tire change.
Thanks to all that replied!

I love it when a plan works! ...and if I might ask off topic...what air pressures do you run with. I use 42 front and 44 rear radials

Back