optional sizes for F/R?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Looking at putting some new shoes on my 85 before spring.. I've always like running Kendas for there value and quality compared to a lot of the big name brands but seems i can't get a matched set for front and rear in the stock size.. I've got the choice of rears in the one I want but front is limited..

Has anyone ever run a 170/80-15 and 90/90-18 combo or will this even mount up on the stock rim?

Ok so I'm getting more and more frustrated and confused on tire issues.. I don't ever remember having this issue with any of the dozen bikes I've previously owned... Maybe I'm just getting pickier with age...

What Tire sizes will fit without issues for both front and rear... I see a bunch of sizes posted all over the place but I do not know what has been done to these bikes... Saw a 130/60-18 mentioned in a thread for the front and I'll be damned if I can even find a tire in that size...

The front should have a 110 on it due to width of the rim. The rear can go from 150 to 170,but a 170 will be pinched down just a bit. This is due to rim width. When you choose your sidewall height, it's up to you how much difference your willing to deal with in speedo accuracy. I'll post the tire calculator I use when I get back to my computer. It helped me in my tire search.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Front 110/90-18 (stock) and 150/90-15 (stock) or the 170/80-15 (little bit bigger but will fit stock rim)

Now these sizes are for the stock bias ply rims.

I run Shinko 230's in stock front and 170 rear with no issues- They stick really well even in rain, and wear is pretty good too. Will def run them again.

Ok well I got back out to the bike today and this shows how un observant I am..

Current tires

Front - 100/90-18
Rear - 170/80-15

Both Pirelli Route MT-66's

Front is toast, back looks good..

I've run the 100's which should be fine. The 120 MIGHT fit but not suggested with the OEM wheel width. The 90 likely would be fine but I think might be on the verge of too narrow.

I'm not sure you going to feel much of a difference with any bias ply tires. Stock was picked by the factory for a reason.

Posted with my thumbs.

To get better handling, you really need to go to radials. That is a whole different (EXPENSIVE) kettle of fish.

Any suggestion on brand or model of radials.. I'm really open to suggestions at this point and can save up for a month or two for them as it's still frozen and white here and I've only been able to get out a few times and it was still well below freezing..

Any suggestion on brand or model of radials.. I'm really open to suggestions at this point and can save up for a month or two for them as it's still frozen and white here and I've only been able to get out a few times and it was still well below freezing..

what wheels do you have?

You do realize a different rear wheel will be needed at the least. A 110-80-18 is a common size and will fit the stock front nice.
Steve

Just have stock rims, wasn't aware new rims would be needed.. looking at prices and honestly I'd rather buy a used supermoto for handling than put that much into rims for an 85..

Just have stock rims, wasn't aware new rims would be needed.. looking at prices and honestly I'd rather buy a used supermoto for handling than put that much into rims for an 85..

thats fair, it makes a big difference but its def a commitment.

IMO a Good Sport Touring 110-90-18 up front (Bridgestone Battlax BT 45V or Metzeler Lasertec) with a Sticky 150/90-15 rear (Shinko TM 230) will give you the Best Handling with BIAS tires on Stock Rims.
A 170/80-15 rear will work, but is a little less nimble in the twisties.

IMO a Good Sport Touring 110-90-18 up front (Bridgestone Battlax BT 45V or Metzeler Lasertec) with a Sticky 150/90-15 rear (Shinko TM 230) will give you the Best Handling with BIAS tires on Stock Rims.
A 170/80-15 rear will work, but is a little less nimble in the twisties.

Is that with stock motor configuration? Any thoughts on how the stock size rear works with stage 7, pods and 4-1 Supertrapp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Shit... I did not think of rim width... I ordered new tires today, and the front I ordered was a 120/90-18. I can only pray that it will fit, even if it is a bit tight on the stock rim. If it does not fit, I may have to look for an 18x2.5 rim that will fit a V-max...

Latest posts

Back