VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Gonna start working up a turbo kit... anybody interested? Just trying to get some numbers for the amount of detail parts I should machine. The one setup will be configured to run a blow-thru with mechanical or electronic fuel injection or draw-thru with a Mikuni HSR. It will also have provisions for alcohol/water injection and or NOS adders.

Questions?

That's what I am talking about! An "affordable" turbo kit.

Sean

Looking for a Beta Tester.

Requirements:
  1. Your engine must have the stock deck height with no head milling.(Larger displacement OK)
  2. You purchase (my choice of products) the turbo, waste gate and 42 or 48 mm Mikuni carb (depending on your bikes displacement) and the stainless steel for the exhaust with the exhaust can of your choice (or no can).
  3. Purchase any other commercial parts you would like to add.
  4. Have your setup dyno'd and report the results.
In turn I will supply the aluminum for the manifold and do all of the machine work and fabrication free of charge. You will install the system on your bike.

If more than one person is interested... I will put the names in a hat and draw the winner at the New England Motorcycle Expo at the VMOA booth Jan 10th.

of course a great deal like this comes around when I'm broke and paying for school :bang head:.

Thats quite a bit of work your throwing out there Gary, you da man!:punk:

Looking for a Beta Tester.

Requirements:
  1. Your engine must have the stock deck height with no head milling.(Larger displacement OK)
  2. You purchase (my choice of products) the turbo, waste gate and 42 or 48 mm Mikuni carb (depending on your bikes displacement) and the stainless steel for the exhaust with the exhaust can of your choice (or no can).
  3. Purchase any other commercial parts you would like to add.
  4. Have your setup dyno'd and report the results.
In turn I will supply the aluminum for the manifold and do all of the machine work and fabrication free of charge. You will install the system on your bike.

If more than one person is interested... I will put the names in a hat and draw the winner at the New England Motorcycle Expo at the VMOA booth Jan 10th.

Gary, I'd be up for doing that with my 02. Are you planning on making this unit fit on a mostly stock VMax or will there need to be major changes made to make the turbo fit? Feel free to give me a call with questions 3I9-46I-8969. I think it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with a Mikuni vs. S&S carb.

Could easily set up something like this but lets see if there is anyone else interested. Sounds like Jeff would be up for it.

Sean

I would be interested, but I wonder if the 12.5:1 compression ratio for my 1428cc engine is a wee bit high for a turbo. That and my Max has MAJOR mods so that disqualifies me too I do believe.....

I planned on rebuilding the second engine I have. Gives me the perfect oppurtunity to get busy.
Cheers

I plan to use high quality components for the beta. Turbonetics or Comp Turbo for the turbo. The waste gate will be Turbosmart. The Mikuni HSR 42 Flatslide will be purchased from Mr. Turbo. . The system will be capable of producing 20+ pounds of boost. For the stock Vmax you will be able to run up to about 8 PSI (180 HP). Above that you should upgrade to a good set of turbo pistons for your engine.

So your looking at

Turbo $950.00
Wastegate $300.00
Carb $500.00
Stainless, Clamps, Gaskets (exhaust) $400.00
Can (exhaust) ?... your choice
Polishing/Anodizing colors etc. will be your option.

The cost of the products are list price of course and I'll do my best to find the parts at better prices. I would budget for about $2300.00 and you'd be safe.

All I can guarantee is that you will have a kick ass system and if your not happy I will buy it back from you.

I would be interested, but I wonder if the 12.5:1 compression ratio for my 1428cc engine is a wee bit high for a turbo. That and my Max has MAJOR mods so that disqualifies me too I do believe.....

The displacement isn't a problem. The compression ratio is : ) Now if your you were willing to swap the pistons out for a nice set of Arias 8.5:1. turbo pistons. (aprox. $700.00.... see Sean for a firm price). I don't see why your bike would be a problem. Does your bike have Carrillo Rods?

The displacement isn't a problem. The compression ratio is : ) Now if your you were willing to swap the pistons out for a nice set of Arias 8.5:1. turbo pistons. (aprox. $700.00.... see Sean for a firm price). I don't see why your bike would be a problem. Does your bike have Carrillo Rods?

Lemme see.......

Downside, would have to sell the EFI setup, buy a set of pistons (currently running JE forged pistons), buy a set of rods, teardown engine (requiring a full set of gaskets of course), and rebuild with turbo setup.

Upside, would have a 200+ hp streetable beast LOL......

Food for thought, but not in the budget at the moment unfortunately. Would be sick to drag race with though:punk:

I plan to use high quality components for the beta. Turbonetics or Comp Turbo for the turbo. The waste gate will be Turbosmart. The Mikuni HSR 42 Flatslide will be purchased from Mr. Turbo. . The system will be capable of producing 20+ pounds of boost. For the stock Vmax you will be able to run up to about 8 PSI (180 HP). Above that you should upgrade to a good set of turbo pistons for your engine.

So your looking at

Turbo $950.00
Wastegate $300.00
Carb $500.00
Stainless, Clamps, Gaskets (exhaust) $400.00
Can (exhaust) ?... your choice
Polishing/Anodizing colors etc. will be your option.

The cost of the products are list price of course and I'll do my best to find the parts at better prices. I would budget for about $2300.00 and you'd be safe.

All I can guarantee is that you will have a kick ass system and if your not happy I will buy it back from you.

I would vote for the turbonetics turbo. I have been to their site in Simi Valley for a truck rally that we have once a year for Ford Diesel Trucks.
Great facility, even better people and customer service is top notch.
We had some dyno runs, BBQ, tour of the plant. All in all good group of peeps.:eusa_dance:

I would vote for the turbonetics turbo. I have been to their site in Simi Valley for a truck rally that we have once a year for Ford Diesel Trucks.
Great facility, even better people and customer service is top notch.
We had some dyno runs, BBQ, tour of the plant. All in all good group of peeps.:eusa_dance:

Agreed! Quality product and good service. You can get a Chinese copy for half the money... but if you have problems or questions, you'll have to learn to speak Chinese and have free long distance calling.

Lemme see.......

Downside, would have to sell the EFI setup, buy a set of pistons (currently running JE forged pistons), buy a set of rods, teardown engine (requiring a full set of gaskets of course), and rebuild with turbo setup.

Upside, would have a 200+ hp streetable beast LOL......

Food for thought, but not in the budget at the moment unfortunately. Would be sick to drag race with though:punk:

Thought you movie stars had lots of money :ummm: with the setup I'm making you can keep your fuel injection and the system becomes a blow-thru... the Mikuni is replaced with a throttle body. What kind of injectors do you run on that EFI setup? Everybody is pretty secretive that owns one. Do you like it?

gary,I couldnt figure out how to quote you:confused2: but,if you "want to know a secret" Ill tell you, hell better than that Ill show you.. I have a wild bros EFI and I live in mass and would be happy:clapping: to take a scoot:hippy biker: out to conn, grew up:ummm: there. your in east hartford?

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 80
Sure! I'm in East Hartford... PM me with your phone number and if the weather's ok this weekend. Maybe my brother and I can meet up with you for a ride and some grub.

Latest posts

Back