The chain drive project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I worked it out and wrote it down somewhere but pretty sure I think it was
14/35 but of course I can always make the rear to whatever at any stage.
2.5 ratio is close to venture diff. Mine would be 2.43. I can go lower but no higher.
I believe it should work fine with chain/belt efficiency.

I've got a worksheet with all the data and you can swap numbers around to see what effect it will have if you want it.

I've got a worksheet with all the data and you can swap numbers around to see what effect it will have if you want it.

Thanks Sean, I have info on hand. Vmax is 2.851 and Venture 2.567
With my setup I'm aiming for Venture territory for slightly longer legs and see how it pans out.

Are you also factoring in the rear diff (3.33 Venture/3.66 Vmax)

From OEM manual:

Transmission:
Primary ReductionSystem Spar gear
Primary Reduction Ratio 87/49 (1.775)
Secondary ReductionSystem Shaft drive
Transmission Type Constant mesh, 5-speed
Operation
Gear Ratio:
Secondary Reduction Ratio 21/27 x 33/9 (2.851)
Left foot operation
1st 43/17 (2.529)
2nd 39/22 (1.772)
3rd 31/23 (1.347)
4th 28/26 (1.076)
5th 26/28 (0.928)

Thanks Sean, I have info on hand. Vmax is 2.851 and Venture 2.567
With my setup I'm aiming for Venture territory for slightly longer legs and see how it pans out.

I like this thinking, aim for Venture type gearing, but hopefully maintain Vmax acceleration with the reduced drivetrain loss... Nice! Swapability of the rear sprocket is just icing on this already great cake.

Engine is in basically.
Need to sort out the rest of the swingarm shock mounts, brake arm etc and then start thinking about rear wheel sprocket hub.

I'll most likely have to mod the fuel tank but that should be pretty straight forward and I'll add some capacity whilst it's there.

Fitting the engine is easy and doesn't require assistance, same as many of these bikes the frame can be fitted to the engine rather than the engine fitted to the frame. With the engine sitting on the floor the frame can be threaded around it easily.

Attachments

• 017 (Large).jpg
    017 (Large).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 023 (Large).jpg
    023 (Large).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 134
Made an adapter plate to suit brake rotor and have machined my sprocket blank which I will gear cut next week.
I can start thinking about shock mounts and making an axle now.

Attachments

• 011 (Large).jpg
    011 (Large).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 105
  • 016 (Large).jpg
    016 (Large).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 117
Great looking wheels Steve. Did you consider machining the rotor carrier to loose some weight and make it a little less sturdy looking? Great work indeed

Attachments

• IMG_4535.jpg
    IMG_4535.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 114
Great looking wheels Steve. Did you consider machining the rotor carrier to loose some weight and make it a little less sturdy looking? Great work indeed

Maybe the picture is misleading.The rotor carrier is not thick, it weighs almost nothing.

What's your plan for adjusting the chain? It doesn't appear to have any adjusters or slots to allow the rear wheel to move. Maybe I missed them? Maybe a tensioner?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

What's your plan for adjusting the chain? It doesn't appear to have any adjusters or slots to allow the rear wheel to move. Maybe I missed them? Maybe a tensioner?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

The axle spuds are indeed slotted to 45mm long. The ends have ears which I have yet to drill which the adjustment screw passes thru.

Made some sprocket studs today and some neoprene bushes to fit.
Made some shock mounts also and should be able to start some serious mock- up
with the swingarm now.

Attachments

• 003 (Large).jpg
    003 (Large).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 69
All mocked up again this time with chain. All lines up ok and going to plan.

Attachments

• 007 (Large).jpg
    007 (Large).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 010 (Large).jpg
    010 (Large).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 126

Latest posts

Back