crankcase breather

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski3747270

Reaction score
Hi.

On all the stage 7 carb setups, I see what appears to be a crankcase breather w/stainless hose.

1. Is my identification correct?

2. What does this do (really)

3. Can I get one without going the stage 7 route?

Thanks

Chris

Please bump this to the correct forum if this does not apply to the motor.

With stage 7 kit the engine needs better breathing. So, in addition to stock breather the engine is allowed to also breath from the oil filler area.

You can go to Dynojet's website and then pull up the Vmax stage 7 .pdf file. It should list a part number for the breather assembly and you can order it separately.

Mark

With stage 7 kit the engine needs better breathing. So, in addition to stock breather the engine is allowed to also breath from the oil filler area.

You can go to Dynojet's website and then pull up the Vmax stage 7 .pdf file. It should list a part number for the breather assembly and you can order it separately.

Mark

Hmm could this be why I am leaking oil only under high RPM and hard riding. Its driving me nuts to find this leak.
I just installed individual air filters along with a crankcase breather that is attached to hose that normally attached to the airbox
If you dont mind me asking, why is the crankcase oil pressure up with the stage 7 I am thinking about making my own braided hose setup from the oil cap to a puke tank breather, time to break out the drawing board again I guess

If you dont mind me asking, why is the crankcase oil pressure up with the stage 7 I am thinking about making my own braided hose setup from the oil cap to a puke tank breather, time to break out the drawing board again I guess

I'm not sure. Only guess I have is that it has something to do with the individual air filters and all the extra air that's fed into the engine. What someone should do is get a reading of crank pressure at the stock vent for stock setup....and then another reading when going to stage 7 or Morley's air box.

Mark

I tried the small filter on the stock vent tube for a little while.It made a mess of everything behind it with all the oil fumes.Finally I got the dyno jet puke tank and all is good again.Worth buying one.

Sean sells them!

Attachments

• morleysmuscle - final.jpg
    morleysmuscle - final.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I tried the small filter on the stock vent tube for a little while.It made a mess of everything behind it with all the oil fumes.Finally I got the dyno jet puke tank and all is good again.Worth buying one.

Sean sells them!

Shawn,

Do you have a picture of the setup? I want to do that instead of the tubes into the filters of the Stage VII.

Thanks!

Sean,

Can you PM me with some information about this puke tank? Price as well.

Thanks to you too!

Shawn,

Do you have a picture of the setup? I want to do that instead of the tubes into the filters of the Stage VII.

Thanks!

Sean,

Thanks to you too!
Sean I am also interested in a puke tank along with the ventalation from the oil filler

Shawn,

Thanks!

Sean,

Thanks to you too!
Lee,I just went and bought a 2 inch breather filter at the auto parts store.Put it right on the stock breather hose.This sucks and I do not recommend that you do it.It will blow oil fumes all over everything from there back.

Ok I have found why I am leaking oil from my battery box today. Yes leaking oil from the battery box. No I am sure it isnt muffler fluid anyways :ummm:

I am engineer by trade so I have decided to make a puke tank. My first try after installing some individual filters was to take the breather hose that orginally went into the airbox was to go to the auto parts store and buy one of the Fast and Furious Purty breather filters for 13.00. Hooked up fine and clamped it to the hose. Problem as stated from someone here, its not venting good and spewing oil and I am sure its spraying oil at high rpm into my battery box which leaks on the collector.
Ok first idea to take the drawing board. Run the hose down to a welded in bung at the exhaust collector and blow it out the exhaust like how race cars do it.
Next Idea similiar to K&N's kit. PVC tube about 3' long cap it off. run a steel braided line up from the oil filler tap it into the bottom of the PVC pipe. next tap a nipple and put the crankcase hose some where in the middle, and make 2 taps at the top with some nipples for a hose to the top of the air filter to suck the air back into the intake.
My question is, do you put any type of baffle absorbant materal in the PVC tube? Or just leave hollow?:ummm:

I am just glad I didnt blow any gaskets while building up crankcase pressure.

[

Please bump this to the correct forum if this does not apply to the motor.[/quote]

Chris:

Crankcase breather is "motor" This has nothing to do with carb tuning. Yes K&N does sell a breather with the stage 7 carb jet kit.

If you get a piece of pie at the end of a meal does that mean you ate a Dinner or Desert.

for years and years harleys run there breather line to the ground...first thing done with the new bikes is take the breather line out from the backing plate of the carb and run it to the ground... drips with go to the ground from high rpms....and we never would run a filter on the end of the breather line...no reason why the max cant run a rubber hose off the stock vent tube ..go as high as it would to the air box then back down to the ground

for years and years harleys run there breather line to the ground...first thing done with the new bikes is take the breather line out from the backing plate of the carb and run it to the ground... drips with go to the ground from high rpms....and we never would run a filter on the end of the breather line...no reason why the max cant run a rubber hose off the stock vent tube ..go as high as it would to the air box then back down to the ground

:ummm: Did I miss something here? This post is about crankcase ventalation with individual filters. (no airbox) Are you saying to run the crankcase vent hose to the ground and spray oil out below the bike in front of the rear tire?
But again 113 thanks for your input

:ummm: Did I miss something here? This post is about crankcase ventalation with individual filters. (no airbox) Are you saying to run the crankcase vent hose to the ground and spray oil out below the bike in front of the rear tire?

Harleys breathe a little different, look at a harley drag bike, the breather hose is often vented behind the wheel. blew my mind when I first saw it at the strip.

Harleys breathe a little different, look at a harley drag bike, the breather hose is often vented behind the wheel. blew my mind when I first saw it at the strip.

Well, I am not considering routing a hose down my swingarm to blow oil.

What I am looking for are some pics of the Stage 7 puke tank, hose routing to the filters. If anyone can take some pics of there Stage 7 Puke tank, Vent hoses that would be great! Thanks:cheers:

What I am looking for are some pics of the Stage 7 puke tank, hose routing to the filters. If anyone can take some pics of there Stage 7 Puke tank, Vent hoses that would be great! Thanks:cheers:

Here you go!

Mike

Attachments

• dynojet7.jpg
    dynojet7.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 85

I see where you are going with this. On my old street beast I built a puke can, but later just flat out re-routed the hose from the crank case to my pipes. The oil that was expelled was just burned off.

What got me was there was no smoke or leakage. IMO it kinda looked pretty cool. reminded me of my friend's evac system on his 'cuda.

later,
-KJ

Attachments

• XS_1.jpg
    XS_1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 57
  • XS_2.jpg
    XS_2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 60
Here you go!

Mike

I saw one of these cut in half. The fitting from the breather goes way up into the bottle.They are trying to collect the oil and run it back down into the oil fill hole.The fumes then go back into the carbs.

why would it spray oil does it dump that much oil to be a concern....can someone tell me on a stock max if they ever check or dump out the the catch in the stock air box....maybe after i blow up 4 motors ill understand whats going on

Rarely see any significant oil deposit in the air box.

What I do see is a condensate residue film.

It wasn't pumped (pucked) there as a liquid.

Back