Oil supply tube

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
I'm sure it's a sticky right here somewhere but as usual I can't find it.

I pulled the pan on both bikes today and found the 85's oil tube oring intact,the 89 was however blown out and the tube has been brazedat the first joint after the 90 degree bend.

Regardless I went down too the local neighborhood Yamaha place and ordered the replacement supply tube for $88.00. Question is is their anything else that I should do in here or is that enough?

I'm sure it's a sticky right here somewhere but as usual I can't find it.

I pulled the pan on both bikes today and found the 85's oil tube oring intact,the 89 was however blown out and the tube has been brazedat the first joint after the 90 degree bend.

Regardless I went down too the local neighborhood Yamaha place and ordered the replacement supply tube for $88.00. Question is is their anything else that I should do in here or is that enough?

Sean Morley can fix you up with an oil pump upgrade kit, better o-ring, and maybe something new I haven't herd about. Next time you need a little part like that, bring it to the membership. You'll get one dirt cheap, possibly for shipping cost. There are some after market braces available that bolt to one of the mains. Do replace the rubber puck at the least. It was only around $5 last time I bought one.
Steve-o

I've seen the kaw. O-ring swap and the engine saver clamp. I went with the new supply tube because it's been changed. The new tube seats the o-ring ( now a smaller o.d. ) deeper into the port in the case eliminating the failure prone original design that was barely below the taper in the bore. At least that's the idea anyway.

First, make sure the part you ordered us the newest version. The oil piping changed thru the years. The PN from a '07 vmax is what you want to use.

I'd recommend to take further action. Either, or both of these can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

1. Kawasaki oval o-ring from Sean
2. Pop Stopper from Cycle One Off

I installed the HD oil pump mod from Sean. I don't think it's a necessity by any means but it gave me peace of mind. He provides the kawasaki oval ring, spacer and gear to increase pump volume, shim to increase pressure, and gaskets.

I consider it the belt and suspenders approach.

The oil tube changes part number in 99" from 26h-y1319-01-00 (early version) to 26h-y1319-10-00 (late version) so at least I got that right. I think I'll still get the clamp though.

I looked at it but can't really see what it is. It looks like The pics on their site show an o-ring failure not a fix. I tried too find an image of the actual "pop stopper" but no luck, is it the stud looking thing on the end of the tube where the rubber cap would go?. I looked at the tube on my 89" and the brazed area is the joint where the elbow goes into the supply tube. Is this a failure point , overkill or my brother in law fixing a vmax?

I received a plastic puck that fit on the end of the elbow. When I bought it, the cost was $40

I see it's $20 now. Not sure if the design changed?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I ordered it just to see what it is:ummm: $37.50 (says $25.00 checks out at $30.00 plus $7.50 shipping).Does anyone know why the second o-ring slip joint was brazed on the other motor? Should I tig the new one?

Our kit doesn't need the bracket or pop off part but it can be used in conjunction if so desired. Those kits don't do anything to address the pump volume or pressure. I've even seen the oring popped out with the newer oil galley so do what you want with that info. The OEM oring is simply too soft and easily distorted. Like an octopus getting in/out of a bottle.

You can also safety wire the assembly if you don't want to spend any money and don't want to wait for the parts to come in.

Speaking of waiting. We're currently out of the spacers and not sure how quickly they will be back on hand. I'm told 3 more weeks.

Here is a picture of the PCW bracing, brackets welded to each side of the pipe and bolted to the engine case.

Attachments

• os-3.jpg
    os-3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 57
  • os-4.jpg
    os-4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 51
  • os-5.jpg
    os-5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 55
I snake a bore scope in from the neutral safety switch hole to view my o-ring. I've been doing it on a yearly basis. I also keep an eye on the pressure gauge, hot, and at idle. The gauge is a must have for our bikes, especially the early versions.
Steve

Last edited:
Morleys pump,Kawasaki o-ring, new version tube, tig weld joint, tig weld two support feet,tig weld a brace between the two tubes and a spin on filter conversion.

Anything else?

I like that Brian. That's the route I'm going next time I dive in. The pics are great. The ones of the oil system ain't so bad either. TKS
Steve
These pictures are from Damon Ferraiuolo as he was building my current engine. He preformed all the mods that PCW would do for improving oil pickup and return flow. Damon does A+++++ work!

Back