Oil filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
So I've got a spin on oil filter adapter plate that came with some other stuff. So I went down too my local $1000 dollar a month Napa to buy a spinnee on filter for my bike thinking how wonderful this would be for my aforementioned bikes innerds. Anyway after being handed The box I opened it and was a bit lost. It was small I mean really small, smaller than the stock cartridge filter. So around the counter I go,back to the books. In the back where all the specs are we compare

Micron rating
Spin on 21 micron
Cartridge 21 micron

Media type
Spin on glass enhanced cellulose
Cartridge glass enhanced cellulose

Flow rate
Spin on 8-10 gpm
Cartridge 9-12 gpm

Beta ratio
Also the same2/20=6/20

Filter area
Spin on has 13 percent less

The only other difference is little spin on has an 8lb bypass wich just sounds like un filtered oil from time to time. So I'm trying to figure out why everyone moves over to this type of filter? I'm not trying to pick a fight just trying to understand.

I do have some oil background. Our two otr trucks regularly pass 50k on an oil change running synthetic oil and 1micron bypass filters overseen by Mobil oil with monthly oil samples. My 14 liter Detroit went 100k 3 years in a row.

Is it the bypass? (Aiding in oil tube retention?) is the old design flawed or is it just the ease in filter changing? Not saying anyone is wrong I just was trying to determine the best way too go.

Nothing wrong with the early cart-rage oil filter. Except the price. The o-rings are a la carte' now at your local dealer,which makes me glad I converted years ago. Yamaha isn't the only place to buy them. K& N, Fram and I'm sure more companies sell them. I like the ability of going down the street to an auto parts store and finding a selection of spin-ons. I just bought a few K&N's because I got a good deal on them. I usually go with a Bosh 3323 spin on for $6 a piece. It's a lot bigger than the Fram. The best filter is the one that gets changed often enough.

Nothing wrong with the early cart-rage oil filter. Except the price. The o-rings are a la carte' now at your local dealer,which makes me glad I converted years ago. Yamaha isn't the only place to buy them. K& N, Fram and I'm sure more companies sell them. I like the ability of going down the street to an auto parts store and finding a selection of spin-ons. I just bought a few K&N's because I got a good deal on them. I usually go with a Bosh 3323 spin on for $6 a piece. It's a lot bigger than the Fram. The best filter is the one that gets changed often enough.
I never replaced the cover oring. I cleaned it, coated with fresh oil and reinstalled.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Eggo is taking it I think. I've been painting parts and as soon as I pick up the gun someone calls and I can't get too the phone:bang head: when I call back they are probably doing something and can't answer so it's phone tag Wednesday.

You still need that large o-ring with the spin on adapter I use. I don't change it very often either, but it's behind the adapter. I have had it leak on me, so I keep a spare. $5 for that o-ring. I did pinch the dam thing on the old style once. Some clear grease to hold it in takes care of that.
Steve

The oring is with it. It's actually brand new but no modified brace.

Back