Head gasket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koher

Reaction score
How common are head gaskets to go out i have trouble shooted much but i think during the winter my front bank head gasket went out and how hard are they to replace
Thanks in advance for the help

The cam/valve cover gaskets are most likely the cause. No where near as difficult as the head gaskets. Clean it off well then hit it with some talc or baby powder to ID the leak.

Every head gasket I've ever blown you could feel air come out. If I was on the track then fire usually came out. You might try starting it in a dark garage for a few secs and see if there is light coming out.It does sound like a valve cover gasket though.What does the ROD turn in the 1/4?

Not a very common defect on these engines but does go bad from time to time. You didn't mention if it was oil on the outside of the plug (valve cover) or oil on the combustion side (bad rings). Head gasket failures on these bikes usually put combustion pressure into the coolant system and pushes out the fluid past the overflow.

When you get coolant into the oil (milky looking fluid) then it's usually not the head gasket either and many times it's the waterpump seal.

Not a very common defect on these engines but does go bad from time to time. You didn't mention if it was oil on the outside of the plug (valve cover) or oil on the combustion side (bad rings). Head gasket failures on these bikes usually put combustion pressure into the coolant system and pushes out the fluid past the overflow.

When you get coolant into the oil (milky looking fluid) then it's usually not the head gasket either and many times it's the waterpump seal.
Its on the ceramic side of the plug not the spark side

Not very hard to do. If you're not comfortable doing it alone look for a member in your area that can assist. Checking the valve lash is prudent if you have the valve covers off. The pic you sent me looked like a coolant leak to me. Post it or resend it to me and I'll post it for ya.

Pull your radiator cap off and see if your coolant is the same color- I'm sure it is-then look for the hose up top around the valve cover.

Yea, that's not a head gasket. Looks like the drain hole in the head is plugged up and so moisture is standing on the plug causing it to rust out.

Latest posts

Back