Oil light coming on between 4and5

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxChaos

Reaction score
What could be causing this? B4 I start working on things. Would like a few pointers where to begin. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but this is my first bike so dont have much experience working on it yet. So far all I have done is remove/ clean carbs. It's a 98 with almost 15000 miles. 5000 of which I have put on in the last couple of months. Any and all pointers greatly appreciated. :ummm:

so, after the normal check of your oil level in the sight glass you can look at 2 things. 1st, if you have one of those inspection cameras you can drain your oil and through the drain plug hole check to see if the notorius o-ring to see if it has blown out. if you dont have an i spection camera just put the bike on the center stand or have someone help you keep it upright while you start it up. you should see the oil level in the sight glass disappear pretty quickly. while revving the motor to 2k rpm the oil should all but be completely out of the sight glass. if oil remains while reving the motor, that might indicate the o ring has blown out.
other than that, other folks on here will have more info to pass on to help you diagnose your problem. good luck

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

The oil light is not an oil pressure light. It is an oil level light only. The pickup is at the front so under hard acceleration the oil moves to the back and sometimes the light comes on. Usually only happens in 1st gear though. Checking the oil level as mentioned above is your first check. This is the first time I have heard of the light coming on in 4th/5th gear. Now if you mean between 4000 and 5000 rpm in 1st gear (not 4/5th gear), it makes more sense.

The oil light is not an oil pressure light. It is an oil level light only. The pickup is at the front so under hard acceleration the oil moves to the back and sometimes the light comes on. Usually only happens in 1st gear though. Checking the oil level as mentioned above is your first check. This is the first time I have heard of the light coming on in 4th/5th gear. Now if you mean between 4000 and 5000 rpm in 1st gear (not 4/5th gear), it makes more sense.

I think he meant, "between 4 and 5 pm." :rofl_200:

Simple, don't ride then.

Man, that is a hard one...maybe change-out your switch w/someone or just buy one to see if that helps?

I don't think you have any thing to worry about. My oil light comes on at 140 MPH. Like mentioned before it's just a level indicator for the oil. Most people report their oil light comes on under hard accelleration. If your oil level is is on the mark with the bike level you should be OK, sometimes you can add 1/4 quart of oil to make it go away.

Both of my bikes will light the oil level idiot lights under acceleration. Both have all the oil mods installed and both have oil pressure gauges. The oil pressure readings stay constant when the lights are lit. No Problemo....

My oil light comes on at 140 MPH
You got bigger balls that I do..

At 140 MPH, I'm not even thinking of looking at my oil light.. :rofl_200:

Don't know if there is or is not any correlation between the oil light coming on between 4th and 5th gear and the infamous orange o-ring being blown out. But I will say this mine started doing it this year and I just did the HD oiling upgrade and my o-ring was blown out and now my oil light doesn't come on any more between 4th and 5th gear. Also when my oil light was coming on between 4th and 5th and it was under moderate acceleration not getting on it hard at all. So make your own decision. Either way the HD oiling mod seems to have helped and I know the light isn't a oil pressure light, but just seeing it come on isn't a good feeling either way.

Guess I should of been a little clearer it's between 4 and 5 thousand rpm in every gear. Hard excel or not, but usually hard excel cause let's be honest it's hard not to just take off on this bike. I don't just pussy foot around:rofl_200: as far as checking the oil level I do that regularly just as a precaution. I did remove my air box cover and found a little bit of oil build up in bottom of that this morning. Thanks for everything so far

Well is the oil level between the marks at the sight glass....or is it near the top? You can put the oil level at the top line....and it should not come on as easily.

As has been stated before.....the light is an oil level light.....and not a pressure light.

Run it a bit low, and put-up w/the light show, your bike will make more HP because of better scavenging away of oil from the crank.

Not an oiling expert but it seems that if the o-ring was blown out there would be more oil in the base than if the o-ring was good....therefore the light would not come on as easily.....yes/no? :confused2:

I just fixed my oil sensor. It makes a lot of sense how it works now. I'm not surprised at all that so many guys see the light come on.

Back