Headed to buy a chain drive bike in th morning.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine had a 13 tooth in front and a 38 tooth in the rear , when I ran it a ran a 41 tooth rear.

It was a long time ago , if I recall the RPM s were off by a couple hundred ( higher) compared to stock , but that was almost 20 years ago

Struts will help keep the chassis stable and make it easier to keep the chain in position if the pivot location is not in a perfect position to maintain chain tension throughout the range of travel. Should not have been an issue though unless he makes the swingarm weird.

Struts will help keep the chassis stable and make it easier to keep the chain in position if the pivot location is not in a perfect position to maintain chain tension throughout the range of travel. Should not have been an issue though unless he makes the swingarm weird.

I'll be riding it this week so it will have shocks on it.

one2day is right about the struts for its set up!!! It is struted because the swing arm is in negative. On a chain drive it should be positive ( angle going down to rear sprocker) if you have shocks. As your shock depress it will tight which is why you put a 1/2 play in chian but if you go past zero it will get more loose, If you have alot of power it will only pull fro 12 o clock to 3 O CLOCK AND RIP TEETH OFF rear sprocket. If you set it up with struts you can go negative and you just set the chain tight and no worry since it does not go up more since struted. A v max is designed for shaft ! THE FORWARD SPROCKET IS NOT HIGHER THEN REAR AS A SPORT BIKE. I ripped teeth off my rear sprockt for 6 month tilll i figured out this problem by looking at sportbikes and it hit me< what a thought. Most high power chain drive maxs that are hooking can not go with 1/2 play since there is not enough angle so it will need to be tighter then the normal set up. i put stock lenght shocks on my bike and never ripped another tooth on rear srocket.

Back