Q; Yamaha Venture engine combined with a Max engine...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mefirst

Reaction score
The engine in my V Max started to make a bad knocking noise. I guess its the main bearings... I have found 2 Yamaha XVZ Venture engines. These are basically the same engines, correct?

So, could I use the bottom end of the Venture engine and just bolt on the V Max , rods, pistons, heads, cams etc... that should make it a "V Max" engine, right???

Or have I missed something here????

/Tom

An 86-93 block would be the preferred way to go. These are 1300 cc motors. 83-85 are 1200 cc blocks. Same crank & rods in both, bore is difference.

Minor difference in the main oil galley plumbing. Don't know if that could be transferred from your damaged motor to the replacement block.

All the side covers, heads, starter etc. will interchange.

Gary

An 86-93 block would be the preferred way to go. These are 1300 cc motors. 83-85 are 1200 cc blocks. Same crank & rods in both, bore is difference.

Minor difference in the main oil galley plumbing. Don't know if that could be transferred from your damaged motor to the replacement block.

All the side covers, heads, starter etc. will interchange.

Gary

I was going to say that still have that 1200 venture engine that only has 1,800 original miles on it.:punk:

G

:punk:

Ok, Ive done some research and Ill go with the Venture 1300cc bottom end and reuse the topend of my broken V Max.

I read that the gearbox in the Venture is not as good as the V Max, something with the 2;nd and 5;th gear. -Is there a fix this????

Thanks!

/Tom

Ok, Ive done some research and Ill go with the Venture 1300cc bottom end and reuse the topend of my broken V Max.

I read that the gearbox in the Venture is not as good as the V Max, something with the 2;nd and 5;th gear. -Is there a fix this????

Thanks!

/Tom

Replace with the Vmax parts? That would be my guess.

Replace with the Vmax parts? That would be my guess.

Well my V Max is from 1998 so it should have have the better gearbox, I read something that the early years had some issues with the gearbox as did the Venture.

Then again Im not building a horsepower monster, so maybe the gearbox wont be an issue...

/Tom

Thanks!

/Tom

83-85 Ventures, up to serial # 0001413 (85) had soft thrust plates on the drive axle. This was the cause of the tranny jumping out of second gear. If motor is low mileage, under 30,000 miles, it probably is not an issue. Thrust plates can be replaced when you rebuild block fairly easily.

I do not know of a 5th gear issue with the Ventures.

Gary

Attachments

• Transmission Repair Diagnoisis Tips.pdf
    253.6 KB · Views: 23
Well spent the evening in the garage unbolting parts from the bike so I can pull the engine...

Weird thing is, let the oil out and the oil did not look at al as I had expected. There was NO metal what so ever in the oil :ummm: -Thats weird, I also took a look in the filter, no metal in the filter.. Oil looked, well new...

IF the bearings would have let go, the oil should show signs of metal.. I dont get it... Never seen/heard of a bearing failure with no metal shavings in the oil...

I unbolted the front valvecover and peeked under it, engine is still in the frame so.. From what I could see there is nothing weird going on under the valvecover..

-What else would cause a bad knock and low oil pressure???? :confused2:
If a rod let go that should also leave some metal in the oil... I dont get it :bang head:

/Tom

Correct. Could be small end. BUT, you'd be surprised at how well the pan will segregate the particles from the oil (especially if left shut off for a little while so they can settle). Remove the pan (with the engine in our out of the bike) and see what's in there. Either way it would need to come off to either find out you're screwed with a rod bearing or to fix a small end wrist pin issue.

Thanks for the interest in my Max engine worries Gentlemen :punk:

Ill open up the engine to see whats going on inside it. Ill keep you posted on what I find...

One thing I did find, and im still pissed off.. The dumb previous owner decided, for some unexplanable reason, to weld the rear exhaust tubes together with the main tubes (4:1 exhaust system) .. so now one cant separate the tubes to get the exhaust off the engine :bang head: -Why do stupid people have access to tools :ummm: So now Ill need to somehow grind the spotwelds off the tubes with out messing up the tubes... again, a project that should have taken no more than a couple of houers turns into a several day battle.....

/Tom

to weld the rear exhaust tubes together with the main tubes (4:1 exhaust system
Why... just why...
I can think of only one reason he may have done this, and I solved that reason on my bike with the addition of a set screw.

WTF WAS HE THINKING????

On a side note, this would be an excuse to shop around for a completely new aftermarket exhaust.

Has this been done before? I considered Swapping Vmax Heads onto my 84 Venture, but I aborted the Plan when I realized the Piston's are significantly different. The Venture Piston's are larger but the Valve Relief is much smaller. So I was concerned the Vmax Valve's would run into clearance issue's with the Venture Piston's...

Has this been done before? I considered Swapping Vmax Heads onto my 84 Venture, but I aborted the Plan when I realized the Piston's are significantly different. The Venture Piston's are larger but the Valve Relief is much smaller. So I was concerned the Vmax Valve's would run into clearance issue's with the Venture Piston's...
Plenty of room. The early venture blocks were way lower on compression ratios and shorter to the tops of the pistons. BUT, if you are using a venture 1200 block I would suggest swapping in a set of stock Vmax pistons while you're at it. Will make you at least where a stock Vmax motor would be for power (not including the vboost)

Bought a 83 1200 venture for motor only. Wanted to use trans gears to go in a Vmax. Does.anyone know if this will work

Bought a 83 1200 venture for motor only. Wanted to use trans gears to go in a Vmax. Does.anyone know if this will work
You could but it's not enough ratio change to do anything noticeable. And the 2nd gear design is the same that Yamaha recalled in 1985,

Plenty of room. The early venture blocks were way lower on compression ratios and shorter to the tops of the pistons. BUT, if you are using a venture 1200 block I would suggest swapping in a set of stock Vmax pistons while you're at it. Will make you at least where a stock Vmax motor would be for power (not including the vboost)
[/QUOTE Hmm, I think it would be easier to just do a straight up Swap in that case, i assume the Venture Transmission wouldn't be up to the task in the long run especially when you consider my Venture has 70k on it.

Latest posts

Back