1992 or 1993

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krusty_tc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new owner of a vmax. My question is do I have a 93 or 92 model year. My vin is JYA2LTN07PA004198. The tag with the vin on the frame says 03/92 on it. It was sold to me as a 93 model. When I got my registration it lists it as a 93 model. So I decided to order new rotors. When they arrived, I noticed they were too big.

In further looking at the bike, it has 40mm forks with single piston calipers and 282mm rotors. The rotors I ordered were for the 93 model, and obviously did not fit. I tried to decifer the vin number, but not sure if it decodes as a 92 or 93 model. Any help would be appreciated. And I am really enjoying this bike.

Dave

If the front end is stock and unmolested, you have a 92- They switched to the 43mm forks/bigger brakes/4 piston calipers in 93.

Does the VIN on the frame match the title?..........Your frame is a 92, not sure why it would be registered as a 93?.............Tom.

Do you see signs of the bike being in a accident in the front. Front forks and tree's may have been change.

NOS?????????? Sold in 1993.

Wouldn't the title still show 92 though?..

Strange..my guess is its 93 with early forks..for whatever reason. Are there other ways to tell the year from the rest of the bike?..

The 10th digit of the VIN will be associated with a year. For you a "P" is a 1993 model. A "N" would be a 1992 with a "R" being a 1994 and so on. The build date should put it as a 1992 but the VIN shows it as a 1993. Definitely an oddball.

Later, Doug

I can't see any damage on the frame as if someone replaced the front end due to a collision. The vin on the frame does match the title. I am thinking it's an early build before the forks were switched to 43mm.

I don't remember the time frame but there was a time when left overs could be retitled the next year. I believe it was way before the 90's though.

Oops. Just noticed the poster was from Canada. Have no idea how they handled leftovers.

I am not a dealer. I am not a pro mechanic, I don't own a shop, but I've owned probably three dozen motorcycles in my ~47 years of riding.

The first thing I do is to check the title to the VIN. The VIN of the frame in the USA is how the vehicle is legally-described, unless someone can show me differently. If I found a difference between the frame VIN and the title, I would not have purchased the bike. :confused2:

If you ever get stopped and they run your VIN you may find that your bike is what is referred to as a 'clouded title.' Some jurisdictions would confiscate your ride on the spot, as the registration and frame VIN do not agree. You may be in for a pair of bracelets too, free of-charge. Who sold it to you?

I think your wishful-thinking of it being an "early-build" will not help in the least, nor is that likely to offer any relief. The VIN # on the steering head is what determines your motorcycle's title and registration age should be. For example, I have a vehicle w/a mid-1985 date of build but it is titled and has been registered as a 1986.

I can't see any damage on the frame as if someone replaced the front end due to a collision. The vin on the frame does match the title. I am thinking it's an early build before the forks were switched to 43mm.

Some interesting info:

http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx#VIN
<H3 id=VIN>Why do I require a valid vehicle identification number (VIN) and what does this mean?

</H3> All admissible vehicles, including all types of trailers, must bear a 17 character alphanumeric valid VIN sequence, as required by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 115 – Vehicle Identification Number, including snowmobiles and restricted-use motorcycles (RUMs) manufactured after January 1, 2001.
<H3 id=VIN>The VIN on my vehicle matches the current registration, title certificate and bill of sale. Why is RIV saying it is invalid?

</H3> All admissible vehicles, including all types of trailers, must bear a 17 character alphanumeric sequence, as required by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 115 – Vehicle Identification Number.
Although the VIN of your vehicle may match all official U.S. documents, and although the trailer manufacturer may have confirmed that the VIN on the vehicle itself is indeed the assigned VIN, this does not mean that the VIN issued complies with U.S. and Canadian federal requirements.
The VIN is composed of the following sections as prescribed by the regulations defined by SAE:

• World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)
  • Vehicle attributes / model
  • Check Digit
  • Model Year
  • Plant Code
  • Sequential Number
Prior to purchasing and permanently importing a trailer into Canada, we strongly recommend the potential importer to contact our office in order to ensure the validity of the vehicle identification number (VIN).
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

A VIN is a unique identifier assigned to individual vehicles at the time of manufacture. It is used as the prime vehicle identifier throughout the purchase, importation and licensing process. For most vehicles, the VIN is a 17 digit alpha-numeric string.

All great information, and I thank everyone their ideas. When I purchased the bike two months ago, I received the current registration from the seller. It has a clean title and not a salvage title. In Canada when the vin is entered, flags will come up if stolen, salvaged etc. The bike was currently registered when I purchased it. When I went to register it there was no problems. When the registry puts in the vin, it automatically states the year and make and model of the bike.

It does not look tampered in any obvious way. The frame vin number matches the tag vin number. Oddball for sure. When I purchased it I didn't realize the differences between the 92 and 93 year. I purchased the bike from a gentleman at his house. All Id was given and writen in the bill of sale. There does not seem to be any deception. The vin# is valid. The vin shows it to be a Canadian model, no import.

Well, found another 1993 vmax in Canada with pics that also has the 40mm forks and single piston calipers. So they do seem to exist.

Dave

More and more, that sounds to me like a leftover 1992 that was retitled as a 1993, unless they imported something different into Canada from what was sold in the states.

The auto industry would do that, before we entered the era of significant body style changes. Leftover stock would become the next year's model.

Well, found another 1993 vmax in Canada with pics that also has the 40mm forks and single piston calipers. So they do seem to exist.

Dave

Latest posts

Back