Riddle me this Batman ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
So I get on my Max this morning to drive to work. She fires right up, let it idle whislt I get suited up (was kinda chilly). Throw my leg over her take off down my road to the stop sign. Turn right shift 1st 2nd 3rd hit about 50 nice and easy and all of the sudden my headlight dims just a little ??? Didn't hit any bumps nothing just dimmed all by itself. I have a new updated R/R wired straight to the battery and a new upgraded battery. Where should I start to look for the problem?

So I get on my Max this morning to drive to work. She fires right up, let it idle whislt I get suited up (was kinda chilly). Throw my leg over her take off down my road to the stop sign. Turn right shift 1st 2nd 3rd hit about 50 nice and easy and all of the sudden my headlight dims just a little ??? Didn't hit any bumps nothing just dimmed all by itself. I have a new updated R/R wired straight to the battery and a new upgraded battery. Where should I start to look for the problem?

Mr. Scuff - Start by checking the voltage at the high and low beam headlight connector terminals, compare to the voltage directly across the battery terminals.
Do this with the bike not running, at idle, and then at 3-4k rpm.
The yellow wire is high beam, the green low, black is ground.
Check voltage initially using the connector ground, then use another known good frame ground. If no difference, the connector is well grounded.
Cheers!
Edit - this could be as simple as an old bulb with the filament degraded, but the simple voltage tests give an idea about how much available battery voltage is being lost because of poor wiring, corroded terminals and switches. The older the bike, the worse this problem becomes.

You need to start by getting over to my place, see ya around 2:30!....................Tom.

MEAN WHILE! Back at the Batty Beekeeper's cave? :biglaugh:

Check bulb socket for rust (connectors as well) and replace bulb to rule out bulb problem

HA AHA ! yes that's the ticket back to the BeeKeepers Cave I figure a cpl of wheelie's and a few burnouts should make things better ! :punk:

2dd484d0f8447e55e3c08ed8e6af558b.jpg
When Bee gets done it should look like this Patrick.

Mr. Scuff - Start by checking the voltage at the high and low beam headlight connector terminals, compare to the voltage directly across the battery terminals.
Do this with the bike not running, at idle, and then at 3-4k rpm.
The yellow wire is high beam, the green low, black is ground.
Check voltage initially using the connector ground, then use another known good frame ground. If no difference, the connector is well grounded.
Cheers!
Edit - this could be as simple as an old bulb with the filament degraded, but the simple voltage tests give an idea about how much available battery voltage is being lost because of poor wiring, corroded terminals and switches. The older the bike, the worse this problem becomes.
Thanks for the help as soon as I get home i'll start digging into it, BEST FORUM EVER!!! :biglaugh:

To use a phrase which would make my 11th grade English teacher wince in pain, "that bike is the baddest!"

What a good guy to have Beekeeper close-by! Better bring food & drink!

I once did a lot of work trying to fix what was a couple of bad headlight bulbs, both the failing one in-service, and the new replacement. Neither would not-work totally, which made me suspect all-sorts of arcane possibilities. The second of two new bulbs fixed the problem. But I did have nicely-reconditioned switches and wires/connectors!

Went for a 100+ mile ride with Scuff yesterday, the light shone bright and normal to me........................Tom.

What! Boy wounder druged with Hallucinogenic's. MEAN WHILE! back at the batty Bee cave lab.

arrowfan237 added on Mon, Jan 03 2011.
<LI style="opacity: 1" id=image-1300-1343376 class="js-gallery-item isotope-image gallery-image"> Click to edit

Latest posts

Back