Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200fan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Picked up a 1997 V-Max Canadian import a few months ago. Since I had it it's been making a ticking noise, happening at pretty much all revs and on the overrun. After thinking it was the valves out of adjustment I had this done and the noise was still there. It's coming from the rear of the engine.

My next thing to try is to check the rear cam chain tensioner to check it's not too loose on the cam chain. The bike has the standard automatic type.

My question is that is it just a matter of taking the central bolt out, putting a finger in the tensioner body and pushing the plunger one or two clicks and refitting the bolt? Or would I need to have the valve covers off and have the engine at TDC/BDC etc before I can do this?

Thanks everyone.

It's got a pretty heavy spring already pushing the plunger out. When you remove the tensioner (main body) it will start to extend even more unless you have removed the spring from the center (large 19mm headed bolt).

Latest posts

Back