How to: Fix your Vmax's low voltage or charging problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why buy a fake new one when you can get a real used one for less than half the price? I think I paid $20 shipped for one off a ZX-14. What bike it came off is pretty much irrelevant.

Guys,

mine charges 12.5 at 1000 rpm.
13.2-4 at like 1500-2000 rpm
And drops down to 12.2-4 at 3000 rpm or higher.

strange right?
Any ideas?

What is the raw AC voltage to each of the three white wires. Your max DC voltage will not exceed that number when converted from the regulator (the most common part to go bad).

A 2007 should have the updated R/R part. Which isn't to say it's not the issue, but it's a bit less likely.

If it's the original battery, that's a likely culprit. These motors take a lot of amps to crank over, especially when hot. The stock battery is just barely up to the job anyway, so any loss of cranking amps shows up.

If you go back, bring a multimeter and check the voltage as detailed in the first post...that'll tell you if there's an issue with the charging system. If the voltage is anything less than peachy, use that to barter the price down a bit.
Torco Oil with 1200 parts per million Molydium and the other 8th Air Corp chemistry to fight Luftwaffa 109s makes a difference when the battery is weak. You could lose all the coolant and make back from anywhere trust me It's been done.

I would grab more pictures, though I sold my Vmax late in 2012.

I have taken a few calls from members about this thread since it was posted, if there's something you're still not clear about you can contact me via PM or phone and I'll do my best to explain it in better detail.
Can you help me please?

I replaced my AGM battery with a lithium battery. Everything works better and no need to keep the bike on a trickle charger. The lithium battery is guaranteed for 3 years. I ran into a fellow VMaxer at a fuel stop in Albuquerque and he saw me waiting for the bike to cool in order for it to start. He recommended the lithium battery and uses them in a Gen1 and Gen2. Expensive, but worth it.

Latest posts

Back