Ignition Coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenreesesr

Reaction score
2003 Vmax
I had the coils raised yesterday to access the battery, and noticed what looks like a crack in the plastic covering of each coil. Bike is running fine. Anything to worry about??

What Ive been told by a people with MORE experience than me....no, there is nothing to worry about. The covering is plastic, and the inside of the coil is filled with epoxy.

Your yourself said the bike is running fine. There have been hundreds of bike that have run fine for many years.

What Ive been told by a people with MORE experience than me....no, there is nothing to worry about. The covering is plastic, and the inside of the coil is filled with epoxy.

Your yourself said the bike is running fine. There have been hundreds of bike that have run fine for many years.

+1

My 85 had those weather cracks in it's coils many, many, many years ago, and it has never had any problems out of them.

I don't understand how they even crack. I've never had any issues with them...just make sure the mounting screws are tight to quell vibration.

Mark

I think me and caseyjones believe it is going from cold to hot quickly.
There are about 4 guys on facebook vmax sites that have washed their bikes and cannot get them started for days. One guy didn't make it home in the rain.

I think me and caseyjones believe it is going from cold to hot quickly.
There are about 4 guys on facebook vmax sites that have washed their bikes and cannot get them started for days. One guy didn't make it home in the rain.

Well hopefully the poster will come back on, and answer this question, is it running rough in the rain, or is it fine in the rain?

Did the people on facebook ever trace it back to what was causing the issue in the rain?

Last edited:
Never an issue in the rain, or after washing for me & my 85.....but I do tend to ride a bit slower during the heavier downpours. Maybe Missouri water is just gentler than that acid rain chit you get everywhere else? :biglaugh:

Hey - now that I stop and think about it, I did get a longer than usual start up, at the carwash, just the other day, and the bike did cough & miss for a few seconds as I pulled away from the washbay. I wonder what could have caused that?:ummm: It cleaned up and ran 100% within a few seconds.

Possible, or cracked wires, boots, water in airbox/filter.

Jeff

You told me the other day that your name was Jeremiah? :ummm:

It is, but Jeremy is my nickname. Joshua is my other middle name. You must have been drinking too much, and simply forgot I told you that too. :biglaugh:

Jerry

It is, but Jeremy is my nickname. Joshua is my other middle name. You must have been drinking too much, and simply forgot I told you that too. :biglaugh:

Jerry

LOL...I didnt touch a drop. Do you have any pics proving otherwise?:rofl_200:

Back