Pinging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil-Seed

Reaction score
Pinging started yesterday. All fluid levels are fine, so I am stumped. What do you all think?

I would post a video, but the site keeps telling me a security token is missing (video is 2 replies down)

That's not pinging IMHO. Does it get much louder when you rev it up more? I'd drain the oil and see how it looks, metal fragments in the filter & oil?. Remove the pipes and check for dislodged inner rattling around-fingers crossed. Then off with the oil pan for inspection of internals.
Steve-o

Will have to drain the oil and see is hiding in it. Exhaust is fine (just replaced) but the sound is towards the front. Going to look at the starter clutch today. It does not get louder as the revs increase.

Thanks for all the input.

Pinging is almost never at idle. You'll usually hear it in mid rpm's under heavy load if you have it.

I agree with everyone who said it sounds like something mechanical failed or is about to. Good luck, I hope it's not too expensive!

Pinging is almost never at idle. You'll usually hear it in mid rpm's under heavy load if you have it.

I agree with everyone who said it sounds like something mechanical failed or is about to. Good luck, I hope it's not too expensive!

So a little good luck, other than the oils being dirty, no metal bits found. Although the bolts were peened (sp?), the can be turned. So now I wait for parts.
cd30446902e53107321f53eb8094c766.jpg

I hope that is the issue. But, loose bolts usually give a grinding sound when cranking over. I used to weld the bolts, and they never moved. But cutting the weld off the bolts on the next change is a pain. I cleaned up the threads good and red lock- tight'd them last change. So far, holding well. Keep us informed, we all get to learn when we post. Thank you for posting it up.
Steve-o

So a little good luck, other than the oils being dirty, no metal bits found. Although the bolts were peened (sp?), the can be turned. So now I wait for parts.
Read this guide:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16294
And check out my post here about the Ideal HD 6 roller Starter Clutch:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=405926&postcount=61

And you'll need these gaskets:
Gasket, Crankcase Cover 1
Item: 3JP-15451-01-00
Gasket, Crankcase Cover 2
Item: 3JP-15461-01-00
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50043dc0f8700209bc78db7a/crankcase-cover-1

Thanks all. As usual, the VMax King Sean was correct, it's the exhaust headers.

:rofl_200:
Thanks all. As usual, the VMax King Sean was correct, it's the exhaust headers.
Glad you found it Evil-Seed but as I read backwards seems most go by your description of sound. Even you your evil self said not exhaust. :clapping:
"Exhaust is fine (just replaced)"-Nuts were loose-:rofl_200:

Need to clarify, I only replace the cans and not the full system. Now to find headers....

Back