Cheap CDI box to test

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterdm22

Reaction score
Hello all,
First time poster here, just recently bought a 2000 Vmax with 10,000 miles it is sputtering/popping and shutting off at low throttle I have to turn the key off then back on for it to start, without turning the key off when it shuts off it will crank but just pop and sputter will not start. Found that when it shuts off the COP conversation done(previous owner) just sits there and buzzes spark while the bike is off(key is on). removed CDI box took it apart and found moisture inside. I’m pretty sure it is the CDI box so I ordered a cheap $137.00 Cdi to test. My question is are these any good (please don’t call me an arsehole ) should I look for anything else as a possible cause? Did I miss anything in my explanation? Other members ever had this issue? Any info is appreciated. Pete

Without more details about the ignition unit (e.g. make & model) I don't think it will be possible to comment on what you have bought.

Can we assume that the carbs are balanced and that the carb idle circuit is clean (i.e. does it need 'The Shotgun'?
Are the plugs in good condition?

I have heard of water getting into the ignition unit connectors which seems to happen when the front rubber shield is missing.

The part is DB Electrical IYA6055. I’m having the carbs gone through and synced as we speak but I do not believe this would cause the buzzing spark when the bike would shut off.

The part is DB Electrical IYA6055. I’m having the carbs gone through and synced as we speak but I do not believe this would cause the buzzing spark when the bike would shut off.

Never heard of DB Electrical.
https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...itive-discharge-ignition-3jp-82305-11-00.html

For future reference, Morley's Muscle is a vendor here. Sean Morley is the owner and a member of the site. They can ship you out an electrical test kit that will contain all kinds of spare parts. You can swap parts as needed but only buy what you keep. Its a great program that allows you to troubleshoot without having to purchase parts you don't actually need.

Morley's' Muscle program ?

i have the same issue with my 2000 Yamaha V-max . i checked everything related to the ignition system , have new pickup coils , the rectifier looks good , the stator looks good ,just got new spark plugs . now my doubts are the cdi box or ... maybe the wiring . is there a way that i can get a CDI box to loan or a wiring harness just to test
the system ...

I sent an email to Morley and he said he is goi g to mail me he testing kit this week . Eagerly waiting for the mail ! I hope I can find the problem and get this beast back on the road !

Thanks for the reply

I had that buzzing on mine recently. Traced it to low voltage from the battery. When the battery was hooked to a charger & ignition turned everything worked fine.
Just noticed the date of that post, der. Still, leaving this for others to find. Might be some help to someone.

Latest posts

Back