RC 18 inch rear wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
I just bought an 18 inch RC rear wheel from Sean. Along with the wheel, and the cush bushings, there is a needle bearing, a "hollow" tube, and 2 seals. One seal was already installed on the right side of the wheel. So I'm assuming that everything will will be placed into the left side of the wheel, but does anyone know in which order....or anything specific that I need to look for?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1000095.jpg
    P1000095.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 104
  • P1000096.jpg
    P1000096.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1000097.jpg
    P1000097.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 111
I have RC wheels as well. Been a while since I installed them.

When you pull the old wheel just pay very careful attention to the order of things.
When you go back with the new stuff it should be mechanically the same although slightly different parts are used. Mainly the tube I think.

"Someone" on here assembled one wrong, eventually admitting it, but still went on to do a years long character assassination of Jon Cornell over basically not getting a free replacement.

The seals will probably be self explanatory as I think they are different sizes. The right side seal goes in after the bearing of course.

The tube goes inside the wheel. It's supposed to keep you from crushing the bearings when it's tightened down, giving the back side of the bearing "inner" something to ride against.

I do not remember exactly what stabilizes that tube when the axle is not in there but I've never had to fight it to poke the axle through so something holds it in place.

I found it helpful to heat the wheel up gently with a propane torch right before pulling the Cush drive with rubbers from the freezer to put that together. Used a little grease on the rubbers too and then beat em in with a rubber mallet.

I do not remember exactly how I removed the old Cush drive metal hub with studs from the old rubbers but I do remember it was a bitch. They were seized in the steel liners that are inside the rubbers.

Ok, thanks for the follow-up. The seal is already installed on the right side, so I will probally have to pull it, to be able to get the bearing installed. There is a lip inside on the left side, so I dont think the bearing will fit thru that way.

Thanks

You still have to put the big seal on the "sealed" bearing side.
Then install the tube, followed by the bearing, with the small seal last.
Move over your short bushing that fits in the bearing (and seal) from the old wheel with joggled side "up".
Install the hub from the old wheel into the cush drive rubbers (once you have them installed), and then put the snap ring on it to keep it on.

Hawk, that's a sealed bearing installed on the right side. One of the oil seals should fit right on top of that.

Drop the metal tube (bearing spacer) in from the left

Get the needle bearing started in the left side. Don't knock it all the way home till you align the metal tube with the inner race of the bearing on the right.

There is a metal sleeve that rides inside the needle bearing. Think of it as a removeable inner race. You can remove it from the old wheel. Check it over for any signs of pitting or wear. If noticeable, replace.

Install new dampers

Swap the drive hub assembly.

The needle bearing inner racer it not shown and that was letting me think it was forgotten but like Sean said you can use the one from your stock rim if in good condition. it should slip through the seal as it rides on the seal itself, grease it properly. The tube spacer is especially important as when you tighten the axle it protects the bearings from side pressure as the bearings seat against the rim with the outer racing but the axle torque is applied on the inner racer, that spacer allows for them to have something to press against protecting the bearings of side play if you know what i mean. To seat the needle bearing use a proper size socket and hammer it down gently and properly lined up. A bit of loctite on the outer racer of the needle bearing could be used if it doesn't fit really snug and prevent sliding on the rim. you will also need a spacer to hit against the RHS bearing inner racer and the caliper bracket but that i assume you can use the stock one from your bike, that spacer will "rub" on the RHS seal... Remember theres an oring (2.5" diameter?) inbetween the drive hub and the rim as in your stock wheel. I would suggest some grease (copper grease is fine) on the 6 pivots that go into the rubber damper bushings in order for them not to rust and seize inside (bad news if disassembling in the future).

I just want you to know that I already have a tire to go on the rim. Marsmax85, if you want it....I say go for it.

Isn't yours working? Mine are. Just sent him a PM telling him that i would get the tire...

Is the tire still available? What would you be looking for on a trade? Don't get me wrong $50 is a great deal but about to blow my savings on a used 18" rear. So if I might have something you want, that would be great! If your looking for Vmax stuff I have 2 ads up in this forum. Title say 1990 parts or let me know if there is something else you may want. Oh, what state do you live in? To calculate shipping. Thanks

Latest posts

Back