Whats the best application to deal wih rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Foot pegs are starting to rust.
SS lines at the master are starting to rust.
Highway controls are starting to rust.

Oh the joys of living next to the ocean.

So what application is best for removing rust?

Evaporust need to be soaked overnight. Wire wheel comes to mind. I'm looking for a rub/brush on application that will deal with the issue overnight; without having to remove the parts and soak them.

aluminium foil and spit, rub rub rub

sounds bad, but it works. i don't use coke. lol

Get a small stainless steel brush. Get several, you will wear them out quickly once you start using them. You can scrub most any chrome hard as you want and not scratch it because stainless is softer than chrome. They remove an amazing amount of rust down to the smallest crannies, spoke nipples whatever.

After you scrub off all the rust you can, treat the rusty areas with this.

IMAG1369.jpg

Then take some oil base aluminum paint (small cans from Hdw store) and cotton swabs and swab the rusty spots good in an area, then quickly wipe it off with a cotton rag.
The paint will wipe right off the good chrome and stick to the rougher rusty spots, and do an extremly good job of camoflaging and stopping the rust.

Try this, you will be amazed with the results. I also touch up the areas with a light well aimed spot spray of clear engine enamel for very lasting results.

Wayne Z

I like bicarbonate of soda blasting. It puts a good cleaning on the part if it's chrome. It gets into the small spaces effectively. Then use whatever method you want to seal the part. I use a cheapo HFTools hand-held gravity feed gun but they also sell a couple different sizes of pressurized canisters for that.

I found that naval jelly works good on surface rust. I used it on my steering head nut and it removed the rust and the rust has not returned in 4-5 years.

^^^
Bingo, totally forgot about this stuff. Worked with it before, amazing stuff to do exactly what I need.

Many thanks for the reminder.

She'll totally go for that, Miles. I already got the ok for another trip next year. Hopefully I will have learned about packing and gear choice from this year.

Back