Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another hooked, Vmax newbie here. Howdy from Vernon BC.
The old '79 Suzuki GS1000L finally said no more with dropping the compression ring in #2 while tuning for K&N pods. This was 2 days before my birthday.

Looked around the net for another ride and came across a '06 Vmax. 19,000 km's and in really good shape. Remembered the Cycle World article back in the mid 80's on the Max and wishing I could try one out at some time. Never did until now. I'm hooked!

The afternoon of the day before my birthday I went and looked at the bike for sale, just 20 minutes up the road. Needless to say, I woke up to a Vmax in my driveway. Happy B-day to me went through my mind.

Test drive, after purchase, with small beanie and goggles, 235kmh (146mph) @ 8500rpm. Yee Ha! Next time I'll put on the full coverage for such a ride.

Have been looking over the site, found some simple mods and some tech threads that have answered many of my questions. Having been a inline 4 rider for so long I found the stumbling at 3 grand disconcerting at first but apparently that is the V configuration of the engine. Getting use to it.

Love the V-Boost when it kicks in and tries to rip my arms off. Great feature....lol

I won't be contributing much for a while as I'm not familiar with the bike yet as I am with the inline's. I'm predicting a few questions though.

Great site with plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers and see you on the threads.

picture.php

Changes so far.
Windscreen
Chrome plugs in 6mm allen bolts
FatMax hard bags
Yamaha OEM rear blinkers mod'ed into tail light lens
32" drag bars
Scoop grills painted red
Optimate USB charging kit
80's OEM grab bar and backrest
K&N oval filter
Stock exhaust drilled with 5/16" holes mod (plate re-riveted back on)

Last edited:
Great job Zeus I like that look alot. Where's your faux tank cover? Welcome to all the new comers. I've been on a few different forms and this is by far the best.

Thanks, after seeing the latest Mad Max film (Actually went to the theater in 1979 on a motorcycle to see the first one), I decided to go for a naked look. All the stock parts are boxed up in my garage "just in case" I wanted to put it all back to stock for a future sale. I doubt I'll ever go back to stock!
I was thinking of a fabbing up a plain aluminium "tank cover", but this look just appeals to me.
Everything was stripped off the day I brought it home from Los Angeles during a heat wave.

Here is a picture of my MadMax from this afternoon:
A cool seat from Morley, the big running/tail lights, and I threw on some old Shovelhead mufflers that were in the rafters for kicks last weekend. These are ear-splitting loud like a UFO system, but the deceleration sound is incredible. May only run them on the weekends....

20150828_144800.jpg

Hi, I'm Steffi, new girl around here. Australian Vmax owner, have wanted one since I first saw one. Boilermaker by trade and have previously owned an Gsx1100efe with a 1327 yoshi kit and air shifter. Currently have the max and a first gen fireblade.
Max has stainless flat bars now fitted, gel battery, and have started swapping all fasteners for stainless Allen bolts. Also working my way around stripping all the alloy bits and repolishing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440846337.640658.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440846352.461428.jpg

Hi, I'm Steffi, new girl around here. Australian Vmax owner, have wanted one since I first saw one. Boilermaker by trade and have previously owned an Gsx1100efe with a 1327 yoshi kit and air shifter. Currently have the max and a first gen fireblade.
Max has stainless flat bars now fitted, gel battery, and have started swapping all fasteners for stainless Allen bolts. Also working my way around stripping all the alloy bits and repolishing.

View attachment 50545
View attachment 50546

A boiler maker and a vmax owner! Sounds like a girl after my own heart! ( hehe power engineer here)

Welcome to the forums all you new peeps!

Hi everyone, i wanted to come and say hello, as i have already benefited from all the information on this site. Im Rob from Cambridge UK.

I've sold my Hayabusa and bought a Vmax 1200 1990 full power, i think it was imported from Canada (not sure but that's what ive been told).

I bought it without seeing it and as a non-runner (carbs were leaking fuel)- yes i know - what a twat.

So i got to work on on it last week and found that a float needle was causing the problem, luckily i have a FZR600 which has the same float needle so i swapped it for that .. great no more leaky carb.

So it started fine, then started smoking.. blue smoke. I dont know how long it is since it was last run, so i'm hoping after a good few runs this might clear.

Couple of problems ive noticed so far - speedo isnt working, its not easy to get into neutral when its running, the rev counter and temperature gauge are dead...

so here goes, i've renovated a few bikes in my time, but none quite like this one!!

Hi everyone, i wanted to come and say hello, as i have already benefited from all the information on this site. Im Rob from Cambridge UK.

I've sold my Hayabusa and bought a Vmax 1200 1990 full power, i think it was imported from Canada (not sure but that's what ive been told).

I bought it without seeing it and as a non-runner (carbs were leaking fuel)- yes i know - what a twat.

So i got to work on on it last week and found that a float needle was causing the problem, luckily i have a FZR600 which has the same float needle so i swapped it for that .. great no more leaky carb.

So it started fine, then started smoking.. blue smoke. I dont know how long it is since it was last run, so i'm hoping after a good few runs this might clear.

Couple of problems ive noticed so far - speedo isnt working, its not easy to get into neutral when its running, the rev counter and temperature gauge are dead...

so here goes, i've renovated a few bikes in my time, but none quite like this one!!

Hi Rob!

Welcome to the forum! :cheers: The speedo is mechanical so it is either the drive cable or it is not engaged properly at the front wheel or into the gauge. The tach and temp gauge sound like a fuse.

Hi, I am another new Vmax owner and new to your forum here. Such an overwhelming amount of information here, it is almost boggling.

I also have an old GS 750 Suzuki that I finally got tired of working on more than riding. Have always had the googley eyes for Vmax's since first seeing one in my younger days.

A few months ago I started looking for a newer bike to get. Deciding there was only two types that I would consider, the Vmax ofcourse, and or the Yamaha Raider. And considering the cost difference on the models I wanted, and which one was faster, I had to get the Vmax first... 05' Vmax...12'Raider SCL...

Since the 05's on the market were relatively scarce, I had to search out of state. Which proved a bit difficult to finance, ship, ins., and tag :bang head: After losing a deposit on one, and leaving work, and a newborn, I gave up and figured maybe in the off season I'll find one closer...

A month or so went by, I had just about got over my no Vmax depression. In my last week of working, I came home to prepare food for a family get together, and my wife said I should go outside and play with the kids:confused2: I said I can't play right now, I gotta make dinner:ummm:She said, go outside. And I knew when I saw the look in her eye, something was up.

Hot damn, there it was in the driveway. I hadn't seen it on my way in the house. Under a tarp, I could only see about half of the front wheel, but I knew exactly what it was. A 2005 Vmax:punk:

Pretty effing awesome it was, especially since she does not ride, and does not know much about motorcycles.

Obviously she knows how to make this man happy, and obviously I love her to pieces:biglaugh:

Bill

Your a very luck man Bill!!.........How awsome that your wife would make this happen for you, just try not to spend too much time out on the Max and neglect her!...............The V-Max is and cool bike with lots of charachter and power to back up it's legendary status!................Let us know how your first experience hitting the V-Boost is!.........Welcome to the forum!.................Tom.

Great Story Bill !!!!!!

Congratulations on getting a Vmax and having an Awesome Wife !

Another hooked, Vmax newbie here. Howdy from Vernon BC.
The old '79 Suzuki GS1000L finally said no more with dropping the compression ring in #2 while tuning for K&N pods. This was 2 days before my birthday.

Looked around the net for another ride and came across a '06 Vmax. 19,000 km's and in really good shape. Remembered the Cycle World article back in the mid 80's on the Max and wishing I could try one out at some time. Never did until now. I'm hooked!

The afternoon of the day before my birthday I went and looked at the bike for sale, just 20 minutes up the road. Needless to say, I woke up to a Vmax in my driveway. Happy B-day to me went through my mind.

Test drive, after purchase, with small beanie and goggles, 235kmh (146mph) @ 8500rpm. Yee Ha! Next time I'll put on the full coverage for such a ride.

Have been looking over the site, found some simple mods and some tech threads that have answered many of my questions. Having been a inline 4 rider for so long I found the stumbling at 3 grand disconcerting at first but apparently that is the V configuration of the engine. Getting use to it.

Love the V-Boost when it kicks in and tries to rip my arms off. Great feature....lol

I won't be contributing much for a while as I'm not familiar with the bike yet as I am with the inline's. I'm predicting a few questions though.

Great site with plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers and see you on the threads.

picture.php

Changes so far.
Windscreen
Chrome plugs in 6mm allen bolts
FatMax hard bags
Yamaha OEM rear blinkers mod'ed into tail light lens
32" drag bars
Scoop grills painted red
Optimate USB charging kit
80's OEM grab bar and backrest
K&N oval filter
Stock exhaust drilled with 5/16" holes mod (plate re-riveted back on)

Welcome Gene, looks good- it also looks like you've become a mod monkey in a month!!!

View attachment 50545
View attachment 50546

Welcome Steffi, nice and clean- love it.

Robbie, first welcome to the forum-If you look on the steering head behind the headlight on the frame there is usually a maple leaf flag on the canadian models.
Blue smoke is usually gas related and white smoke is oil. The carbs have a float level that needs to be set or they will run lean or rich. A good spot is 17mm.
Quite a few threads on it.
Speedo is cable so it would have to have come loose on the ends or it's broken.
Try changing the oil (one of the first things i do) rotella 15w40 helps smooth out the shifts and made mine shift easier to neutral. I've never worked on the counter or temp so sorry there.
You can post those questions in the vboost room. Good luck.

New member here! I just picked up a 2010 with 983 miles on it. I have to say, I have never rode a bike with this combo of HP and Torque. It's a fantastic bike!

Question: I'd like to put lower pegs on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

20150911_135356_zpsqayj1pvh.jpg

Welcome buddoggin, try clicking that thing above the page that says morley's muscle and send him an email. It's at the bottom of the page too.

Back