Project bike - should i or shouldn't i?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86turbodsl

Reaction score
Got an opportunity to grab a vmax, stripped down completely to frame.

Owner says it ran great, obviously i can't test that. It was pulled apart because it was getting beautified.

It's an early bike, could be prone to the 2nd gear issue.

What's a good price for a complete bike, but in boxes?

He wants around a grand.

Obviously it's a tough call, but my current bike i got in a box of parts so i'm no stranger to that job, but it still costs time and money to assemble a bike.

Any thoughts?

I paid $500 for an 85, motor had good heads but not much else. It did have stage 7 carbs, Corbin seat, Kerker exhaust. Bike had all new tranny gears. I'd do it again. +1 on $800 tops.

I wouldn't do over $600. 'Basket cases' everyone thinks refers to the parts in separate containers, it doesn't. It means, "bring baskets of money to complete this forlorn attempt at finding out what was wrong w/this abused pile of crap in the first place!" That's why it's apart, he had something seriously wrong and tried to discover what it was. Once he found it's gonna take $5,000 in shop parts & labor to make the pile rideable again, it stayed disassembled.

My view: if he's such a good mechanic, why didn't he finish it? If it's such a good deal, why didn't he reassemble it and sell it for more $? Don't walk, run, run away from this, unless you have whatever you're going to spend available to not get back. Unless it's got lots of good shape aftermarket parts which you could piecemeal sell, and junk the rest. Or, take the extended time to sell stuff on here for 25% of what it's worth, just to get some $ back.

My opinion, it's always better to buy an entire bike together, because it's pretty obvious what's there and what isn't. Even if you need an entire engine to swap, that's $800-1200 depending on the age & miles, though you'll find hosers trying to sell engines for $2K. Buying a basket case, it's easy to overlook some essential parts which are going to be expensive to replace, like the pick-up coil(s, if it's an '85-'89), the engine CDI, the VBoost electric controller, the fuel pump relay (check the current over the counter price on one of these!) replacing cracked intake manifolds (easy to break if you use an impact driver to try & remove them), the VBoost butterfly, not showing anymore as an available dealer part last I checked, and then your whole issue of, "is the engine solid or is it solidly locked-up?" And most importantly, the title. I would never buy a bike w/o a title.

I've bought basket cases but I paid even less, because some of the essential parts weren't there. I already had inventory to replace them, but that additional cost must be figured into your purchase price. Stator, rotor, reg./rectifier? An easy $300+ at good used prices. Rebuilding the carbs coud cost > the bike, using factory replacement parts.

So, don't be too quick to jump. Sellers are motivated by cash. Offer $500, and have it to do the deal, and a way to transport the bike on the spot. A $1,000 basketcase is not a good deal, unless, as I said, it's got lots of aftermarket parts, and you can afford $1000 for a replacement engine when it's got the #3 conn rod/bearing & etc problem & is toast.

It's an 85 and he said 1000 firm. I think he thinks theres a bunch of value in what he's already done, stripping parts and priming things.

I wouldn't do over $600. 'Basket cases' everyone thinks refers to the parts in separate containers, it doesn't. It means, "bring baskets of money to complete this forlorn attempt at finding out what was wrong w/this abused pile of crap in the first place!" That's why it's apart, he had something seriously wrong and tried to discover what it was. Once he found it's gonna take $5,000 in shop parts & labor to make the pile rideable again, it stayed disassembled.

My view: if he's such a good mechanic, why didn't he finish it? If it's such a good deal, why didn't he reassemble it and sell it for more $? Don't walk, run, run away from this, unless you have whatever you're going to spend available to not get back. Unless it's got lots of good shape aftermarket parts which you could piecemeal sell, and junk the rest. Or, take the extended time to sell stuff on here for 25% of what it's worth, just to get some $ back.

My opinion, it's always better to buy an entire bike together, because it's pretty obvious what's there and what isn't. Even if you need an entire engine to swap, that's $800-1200 depending on the age & miles, though you'll find hosers trying to sell engines for $2K. Buying a basket case, it's easy to overlook some essential parts which are going to be expensive to replace, like the pick-up coil(s, if it's an '85-'89), the engine CDI, the VBoost electric controller, the fuel pump relay (check the current over the counter price on one of these!) replacing cracked intake manifolds (easy to break if you use an impact driver to try & remove them), the VBoost butterfly, not showing anymore as an available dealer part last I checked, and then your whole issue of, "is the engine solid or is it solidly locked-up?" And most importantly, the title. I would never buy a bike w/o a title.

I've bought basket cases but I paid even less, because some of the essential parts weren't there. I already had inventory to replace them, but that additional cost must be figured into your purchase price. Stator, rotor, reg./rectifier? An easy $300+ at good used prices. Rebuilding the carbs coud cost > the bike, using factory replacement parts.

So, don't be too quick to jump. Sellers are motivated by cash. Offer $500, and have it to do the deal, and a way to transport the bike on the spot. A $1,000 basketcase is not a good deal, unless, as I said, it's got lots of aftermarket parts, and you can afford $1000 for a replacement engine when it's got the #3 conn rod/bearing & etc problem & is toast.

This is great advise, and i am not moving on it. The suzuki GS i got for free in a basket cost me as much as the whole bike is worth now to fix up. And i lost my time. I want a vmax pretty bad, but not this bad.

thanks.

Leave him your contact # if no one bites, he can call you back. Whereabouts in MI are you? There are plenty of Hoolgans in MI who may be willing to offer their assistance in whether or not it's a decent deal. Some fool may give him $1,000 but you shouldn't! :confused2:

I don't know any painter worth his $ who would paint on top of someone else's 'primed parts.' As for 'stripping parts,' that just means you have to add the cost of re-finishing them to the cost of the bike. A 'deal,' that he stripped them? Maybe to him, not to me.

Just keep reading the want ads, CL, or whatever, and you'll turn one up in probably rideable shape. Captain Kyle seems to have plenty of decently priced rides, and he goes thru them to take care of what needs to be done.

It's an 85 and he said 1000 firm. I think he thinks theres a bunch of value in what he's already done, stripping parts and priming things.

There is a few vmax for sale ( running) in Michigan for around 2 ~ 3 grand. ( on Craigslist) I would say grab one of those and enjoy the last month of riding and then grab that basket for 500 bucks for a spare bike.

I made an offer and wished him luck. I scanned clist and saw quite a few for 2 to 3gs. I'd have that much into a basket case probably.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The laast one in Benzie Co. looks like not a bad deal. Pretty new, moderate miles, check for 2nd gear issues, and I think you would be good to go, any replacement items like tires, brake pads, battery nonwithstanding.

I made an offer and wished him luck. I scanned clist and saw quite a few for 2 to 3gs. I'd have that much into a basket case probably.

Yeah, probably more if you're anything like me, upgrades are like Pringle.. Lol

I put my current bike together as a basket case. It took about a year on and off.

Back