Fuel Gauge Sensor Mount/ Sealing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have a fuel gauge sensor installed into my 5 gal tank and one of the screws that hold it down is stripped. It is screwed through top of the tank which is not very thick. Should I install nutserts (for all the screws) or will that cause a gap? I could make up a thick gasket to help seal that gap along with some sort of liquid gasket sealant like this?
Any help with this will be appreciated since I will need the extra fuel for my ride with the ADVrider guys from Michigan and we will be doing a 250+ mi ride on the 23rd. I'd rather not have the whole group stop a second time just for me.

Brian,I'm going to be doing this to my, and my Buddies Vmax. I'm thinking of welding a ring outside the tank. Just so the screws have something to bite into,along with a nice flush surface. I used to use a clear gas proof sealer, once upon a time. It worked well. I'll try to get the brand for ya. Marine tanks use a rubber gasket to seal senders. Holes punched for the screws in the gasket. They work well without sealer.

Probly would create a small gap BB, the thickness of the nutsert head, but I think your idea of a thick gasket (thicker than the nutsert) and some P'tex would take care of it.....there's no pressure in the tank to speak of, just the little bit created by the fuel column.

Just make the holes in the gasket a smidge larger than the nutsert.

Thanks Steve, that may be an option, trying to preserve the nicely powder coated tank if I can. I was thinking about using thin sheet nutserts which have a very low profile so a rubber gasket may work. There are plenty of marine shops around here.

Probly would create a small gap BB, the thickness of the nutsert head, but I think your idea of a thick gasket (thicker than the nutsert) and some P'tex would take care of it.....there's no pressure in the tank to speak of, just the little bit created by the fuel column.

Just make the holes in the gasket a smidge larger than the nutsert.
That is what I'm going to try first BD, good point on making the hole bigger around the nutsert to make room for the sealant to work. I am going to have to get the tool for the nutserts but it's a tool I have some other uses for too.

The cork gasket should easily seal around the nutserts. Not a bad idea at all to use them.

After taking a closer look at it last night the cork gasket will work fine with a large flange thin sheet steel nutsert. I'm thinking of a m5 should work, now to collect all the pieces to do this in this one horse town!

I should be able to get them in Aluminum and possibly SS. The sensor is located at the top of the tank so water should not be an issue, my regular source does not use ethanol and whenever I have to use ethanol on long rides or multi day trips from home I carry seafoam to combat the effects. I'll get some pictures of the tank/ sensor setup.

5 gal Fuel Tank Sensor 1.jpg 5 gal Fuel Tank Sensor 2.jpg 5 gal Fuel Tank Sensor 3.jpg 5 gal Fuel Tank Sensor 5.jpg

You have 5 gallon tank and gas gauge setup man "O" lady just look at the picture "Ok moving along. Can you post pictures... Of the setup please or send to me a few pictures [email protected] at least I like to have the gauge install.

I just read the hold threat. You may try over size screw and sealant. Or pop rivet - I used pop rivets with sealant on 12 gallon gas tank to hold fuel sensor in place.
Never had a leak.

They make long pop rivets that will fit....

Also there's is flatter sending on the market but for got where I seen it at.

I don't have the gauge as of yet, and I was waiting on the install so I could put it all together at once. I need the larger capacity now to ride with other bikes that have a much larger fuel range per tankful. Should be a straight forward fuel tank removal/ install.

Ok cool, send pictures of the complete setup please. A picture how it looks on the bike. I hope your able to have everything together for the road trip.

The tank is in, simple job with an extended swingarm. Not much different than a stock tank, needed to trim the plastic tank protector to clear the shocks. I took off a little more to clean up the look since the plastic was overhanging a couple inches on the drive side and 1.5"on the other. It's going to make shock spring adjustments a bitch since I now cannot get my hands all the way around the shock tops. I think maybe an rubber adjustable oil filter wrench should do the trick, I'll be trying it out since I'll be needing a couple turns for the added camping gear.
With some spare time I decided to put on the sissy bar and put in some plate lights but I couldn't finish adding the plate lights due to the security bolts on my plate. I should be able to get back at it on Sunday and then I can check out how I'm going to carry a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, camp pillow, clothes, camp shoes, rain gear, and a shave kit. I'm going to have to start pulling a trailer like Tyler! Or get a setup just like Miles' Frankenmax, I'm sure he is getting his shop setup for a production run this winter!:punk:

I'll post up pictures once I get it all back together but there's not much to see like I said, just about 2.5-3" of tank sticking out behind the side covers. There is no way you could do this mod without having an extended swingarm. I would email Sean for information about the gauge setup, he can hook you up. [email protected]

I have a question about the low fuel sensor and it's removal. Once I have the fuel emptied and with the tank still installed in the bike can I remove the low fuel sensor?
I haven't taken a close look and was just trying to get a head start on how much time I should plan to throw at it. I'm hoping to get this done before noon and after my Saturday morning coffee.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!:worthy:

I have a question about the low fuel sensor and it's removal. Once I have the fuel emptied and with the tank still installed in the bike can I remove the low fuel sensor?
I haven't taken a close look and was just trying to get a head start on how much time I should plan to throw at it. I'm hoping to get this done before noon and after my Saturday morning coffee.
I figured it out , thank-you.

Last edited:
Back